Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Chris Gray <ch...@kiffer.be> on 2006/10/09 09:44:44 UTC

[OT] Any JDWP/Eclipse experts out there?

Sorry for the noise, but I know there are some VM designers etc listening
here.

I'm trying to get JDWP working between the Wonka VM and Eclipse. I've reached
the point where I can set a breakpoint and run the app until I hit it;
Eclipse shows the correct stack frames and shows the correct mine in the edit
window, but then throws up an error message 'An internal error occurred
during "Debug"'. Now I'm wondering what to do next ... can anyone give me
tips on how to get more debugging info out of Eclipse, documentation about
how Eclipse uses JDWP, supplementary documentation on JDWP in general, etc.?

Thanks for your time,

Chris

Re: [OT] Any JDWP/Eclipse experts out there?

Posted by Ivan Popov <iv...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

You can find more info about error in the 'Error log' view
(Windows->Show view->Error log). If you click on the corresponding
error, you can see exception stack trace. This may give you some hints
where this error occured or display JDWP error code and you can find
description of this error in JDWP spec [1].

Thanks.
Ivan

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jpda/jdwp/jdwp-protocol.html#JDWP_Error

Posted by Ian Rogers <ia...@manchester.ac.uk>.
Hi Chris,

when debugging JDWP I've found TCP/IP spy useful:

java -cp
plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.debug_3.2.0.v20060411/jdimodel.jar:plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.0.v20060413-1200.jar:plugins/com.ibm.icu_3.4.3.jar
org/eclipse/jdi/internal/spy/TcpipSpy

it will show you the JDWP packets going to/from the VM to Eclipse. This
may give you some insight into the problem.

Regards,

Ian Rogers
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~irogers