Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Satya Priya Das <am...@yahoo.co.in> on 2013/03/19 16:19:39 UTC

problems faced in deploying servlet

I am a retd. software person,worked with autocoder,COBOL,assembler,c, and now trying to learn java,
I am using Java for the Web with Servlets,jsp,and EJB by Budi Kurniwan, but unfortunatetely the tomcat v4 has been used in the book for examples.
Downloading of tomcat6.0.36, and installing of tomcat has been done success fully.The example in chapter one has been compiled and tested o.k.,The servlet context example compiled and deployed successfully.
Now the example for RequestDemoServlet has been compiled  o.k, but when I want to deploy the example
with index.html file using action element, the source not found message is displayed. I have used alias name,class name, even url-mapping but result is same.
A directory myapp has been created under which  subdirs are build,doc,web and build.xml build.properties file. The wb.xml file created as per book with //DTDWeb application 2.3//en
pL. guide me how I can trace the causes of resource not found message.
Thanks
s.p.das

Re: problems faced in deploying servlet

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Jason Brittain wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/19/2013 1:05 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> [snip]
>

>> Go get a copy of "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" by Jason Brittain (who
>>> happens to lurk on this list, FYI)
>>
> Yep.  :)
>

>> and Ian Darwin. It's targeted at
>>> Tomcat 6.x but not much has changed (with old features) since its
>>> publication. There's plenty of new, exciting stuff but the basics will
>>> be well-covered by T:TDG.
>>>
>> +1
>>
>> This is a great book for Tomcat.
>

> Very glad that it can still be useful, and still isn't fundamentally out of
> date 5 1/2 years after it was published..  Tomcat has certainly advanced
> quite a bit in that time, so there are new features, better performance,
> better security, and more.  But, the fundamentals (and most of the details)
> in the book are still just about all valid, at least for Tomcat 7.
>
> It would be great to hear from you Tomcat users what else about Tomcat
> you'd like to see documented.. What have you found missing (either from the
> Apache Tomcat online docs or Tomcat books)?  What Tomcat docs do you wish
> existed?
>
> Here's one from me: I have often wished there were better docs about how
> JULI logging works in Tomcat, including a more comprehensive set of useful
> logging.properties examples, and text describing the full syntax.  Not real
> exciting to write, but it would sure help in some cases.

+100
I'd get the book just for that.

Including an example of how to, by default, send all output to *one* logfile, and rotate
it cleanly on a weekly or monthly base, as any sysadmin would like to do, without having
to become a java (or juli) expert.

Posted by Jason Brittain <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi all.

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.

> [...]
>
> On 3/19/13 12:15 PM, Leo Donahue - RDSA IT wrote:
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Satya Priya Das
>>> [mailto:am_spdas@yahoo.co.in] Subject: problems faced in
>>> deploying servlet
>>>
>>> I am a retd. software person,worked with
>>> autocoder,COBOL,assembler,c, and now trying to learn java, I am
>>> using Java for the Web with Servlets,jsp,and EJB by Budi
>>> Kurniwan, but unfortunatetely the tomcat v4 has been used in the
>>> book for examples. Downloading of tomcat6.0.36, and installing of
>>> tomcat has been done success fully.The example in chapter one has
>>> been compiled and tested o.k.,The servlet context example
>>> compiled and deployed successfully. Now the example for
>>> RequestDemoServlet has been compiled  o.k, but when I want to
>>> deploy the example with index.html file using action element,
>>> the source not found message is displayed. I have used alias
>>> name,class name, even url-mapping but result is same. A directory
>>> myapp has been created under which  subdirs are build,doc,web and
>>> build.xml build.properties file. The wb.xml file created as per
>>> book with //DTDWeb application 2.3//en pL. guide me how I can
>>> trace the causes of resource not found message. Thanks s.p.das
>>
>> I looked up your book online using Google Books.  I can see on
>> page 31 where your project starts, but it skips the rest of the
>> pages to page 34.  I'm guessing this line is your problem:
>>
>> <FORM ACTION=servlet/ResponseDemoServlet METHOD="POST">
>>
>> Tomcat 4 had something called the invoker servlet turned on by
>> default, which meant requests were passed through the mapping of:
>> servlet/someservletname.
>
> +1
>
>> Tomcat 6 doesn't have that on by default anymore, and you should
>> leave it that way.
>
> +1
>
>> All you need to do is update the url-mapping for your form's
>> action to the correct url pattern, based on how you deployed your
>> "myapp" and how you referenced this servlet in your web.xml.
>
> Yup: something like <form action="ResponseDemoServlet"> in your HTML
> and then a <servlet> that defines the servlet in web.xml and then a
> <servlet-mapping> which maps it later on -- also in web.xml.
>
>> You are likely going to be confused throughout this book if all
>> the examples are based on Tomcat 4.  I don't know anyone still
>> putting HTML code in out.println statements.  Can you afford to get
>> a newer book on JSP/Servlets?  There are also semi-decent websites
>> that have some newer content.
>
> I completely agree: while webapps are (mostly) forward-compatible with
> newer servers, a lot of old books are going to be relying on features
> like the invoker servlet.
>
> Go get a copy of "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" by Jason Brittain (who
> happens to lurk on this list, FYI) and Ian Darwin. It's targeted at
> Tomcat 6.x but not much has changed (with old features) since its
> publication. There's plenty of new, exciting stuff but the basics will

+1

This is a great book for Tomcat. I also recommend the following book for
learning Servlets, JSP, etc.

Head First Servlets and JSP, 2nd Edition
By Bryan Basham, Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates

It's an enjoyable read even for us old farts who come from traditional
programming backgrounds. It manages to cover both the standards (2.5)
and some best practices at the same time.

I'm not an author, nor affiliated with O'Reilly. I'm just a happy reader.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/

Re: problems faced in deploying servlet

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

> [...]

<servlet-mapping> which maps it later on -- also in web.xml.

> You are likely going to be confused throughout this book if all
> the examples are based on Tomcat 4.  I don't know anyone still
> putting HTML code in out.println statements.  Can you afford to get
> a newer book on JSP/Servlets?  There are also semi-decent websites
> that have some newer content.

I completely agree: while webapps are (mostly) forward-compatible with
newer servers, a lot of old books are going to be relying on features
like the invoker servlet.

Go get a copy of "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" by Jason Brittain (who
happens to lurk on this list, FYI) and Ian Darwin. It's targeted at
Tomcat 6.x but not much has changed (with old features) since its
publication. There's plenty of new, exciting stuff but the basics will

- -chris

RE: problems faced in deploying servlet

Posted by Leo Donahue - RDSA IT <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov>.

Leo

Re: problems faced in deploying servlet

Posted by Muralidhar Yaragalla <ja...@gmail.com>.
What are u exactly trying to do? what book you are studying and what
examples you are using is not that relevant here. You have written a html
file and in the form tag you have configured the "action" attribute and
still you are facing problem. is it? or what exactly is your problem? if
possible paste the log.

--
Thanks And Regards,
*Muralidhar Yaragalla.