Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Steve Kann <st...@SteveK.COM> on 1998/08/12 21:17:51 UTC

Re: os-windows/1462: Cannot load Proxy module

I have as close to zero Windows experience as you can get, but I have a
need to get Apache with mod_proxy running on Win95 machines.  In order
to do that, I modified the ApacheCore.mak, Makefile.nt, and
os/win32/modules.c files to get the mod_proxy compiled into the main
ApacheCore.dll.

Done this way, it loads fine, and seems to operate fine as well.  I'm
not sure how much I can help to debug the underlying problem when
that the code can be loaded and executed under Win95.  Hope this helps a
bit.

-SteveK

--
     Steve Kann - Horizon Live Distance Learning - 841 Broadway, Suite 502
 Personal:stevek@SteveK.COM  Business:stevek@HorizonLive.com  (212) 533-1775

Re: os-windows/1462: Cannot load Proxy module

Posted by "snyland@workfire.com" <sn...@workfire.com>.
Steve Kann wrote:

> ... I have a
> need to get Apache with mod_proxy running on Win95 machines.  In order
> to do that, I modified the ApacheCore...to get the mod_proxy compiled into the
> main
> ApacheCore.dll.
>
> Done this way, it loads fine, and seems to operate fine as well.

Yes.  A number of us know this trick, however it seems that more & more people
are wanting to run the proxy on Win95 & don't know how.  I posted this once or
twice on the comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows newsgroup & had several
people (less than 10) mailing me questions. They just wanted someone to confirm
that if they go to the trouble of building the thing, it will indeed work.  The
wording of the initial bug reports for the Win95 proxy load problem sort of
implied that the proxy would not run at all.  This of course is inaccurate.  :(

I have also had one request for a Win32 binary with the proxy module built into
the core. It helped that the guy had already set up Apache as a proxy on a
number of NT systems, so he at least knew how to configure & run.

Steve, if you see anyone asking how to run the proxy on Win95, please jump in
there and answer them.  Thanks.

-- Jenn Nyland