Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Bruno Coelho <bl...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/07 10:47:53 UTC

Portuguese download broken

Hi, i cant download the portuguese version, say that the file is not
available. Thanks

Re: Portuguese download broken

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/11/2014 07:51 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 06/11/2014 01:23 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>
>> The most difficult part is that one just wants to localize the page, but
>> still there's a lot of JavaScript around. From a maintenance point of
>
> ... this is a totally different topic. ;-)
>
>> view, I would prefer to have a "createDownloadDiv(var strings)" function
>> that takes an array of all strings needed to build the localized div and
>> returns the div markup. This would simplify a translator's work, since
>> they would only have to translate a long but understandable function
>> call. If this is unclear I can make an example. And this would also
>> guarantee that we can adjust it more easily.

I've completed the separation of code and strings in the "index.html"
file [1] - except for the "noscript" section.

IMHO there is no longer a need to create a "createDownloadDiv()"
function to create the green box in localized "index.html" files from an
external JavaScript file. Otherwise the complete file would be included
in the separate file and the "index.html" would contain (more or less)
just the function call. ;-)

[1] http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index.html

Marcus

Re: Portuguese download broken

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 06/22/2014 03:58 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 06/23/2014 12:42 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

>>> yes, hopefully. Let's see what the "target audience" will say. ;-)

>>> I've added all colored boxes, the nav bar and the little logo section to
>>> the separate file (plus all the strings into the
>>> "msg_prop_l10n_<ISO-code>.js") as separate functions.
>>>
>>> Now you have the full freedom: Use it when it fits for the respective
>>> webpage or translate yourself. :-)
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>
>> OK, I took a look at what you have going in /download/test and I think
>> this version  is pretty good. What you've done by isolating the box
>> creations is good if we want to enable them or not for certain sites.
>>
>> So, I am going to use this later version to port to new /download areas
>> for the native language sites that don't have this structure...yet. then
>> we can call for volunteers to help with the rest of translation.
>
> great, Andrea has changed the Italian website today and I've changed the
> German website some days ago. I'm eager to see some more pages changed.
> If you or anybody else need help with this, please don't hesitate to
> tell me.
>
> Good night for today.
>
> Marcus

oh boy -- I just noticed that in download/test, in my browser the
explanatory items at the bottom on the green DL box are covered up. The
one that's currently in /download doesn't render this way.

And, well, I think for the sites that already HAD a /download area with
the old DL box before these changes, I will just use part of these new
changes to simplify things (the new green DL box). All of these old
sites  had everything translated en masse, and substituting message
strings on them is a lot to do. :/ I did need to change optionset names
to match the new ones to do this.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Re: Portuguese download broken

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 19/06/2014 Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> I've looked again to Andrea's idea to outsource the JS creation of the
> green box into a separate file and think now it's great with regard to
> other NL webpages. Then only one file needs to be changed and it will
> work for all - for all that have included the JS function call. ...

Thanks! I created msg_prop_l10n_it.js and used the new "boxed download"
to repair http://www.openoffice.org/it/download/ that is now looking
much nicer and far easier to maintain hopefully.

>> [Kay] I think the right side of the page -- the additional items should
>> be just be left intact as a block and let volunteers translate/change
>> this as they see fit rather than construct it with javascript.
> This increases the complexity for the translators. For the colored boxes
> they have to translate just a JS file that contains all strings. But for
> the nav bar it's needed to translate the content directly in the HTML
> file? Hm.

Here it is very good to have the different "boxes" available. For
example, translators may want to use the right column for information
about specific resources. In that case, they will hand-code that div
instead of relying on the generated JavaScript. For the Italian download
page we use custom links, and thus we build a custom div, no problem.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Portuguese download broken

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> [...]
>>> download wishes.
>>>
>>>  - Change the file references in the "head" part of the "index.html" in

>>> It is more effort the other way around as I would need to change every
>>> localized download webpage. Of course this is also a possible way. We
>>> just need to agree what we want.
>>>
>>>  - Delete the added "Click this temporary link to download"

>>> OK but ...
>>>
>>>  The most difficult part is that one just wants to localize the page, but
>>>>

>>> ... this is a totally different topic. ;-)
>>>
>>>  view, I would prefer to have a "createDownloadDiv(var strings)" function
>>>>

>> After spending a while looking at approach more in depth, I agree with
>> Andrea here in terms of trying to set this up as simpler js calls
>> somehow. Conceptually, what's there now (in
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/) provides the utmost in
>> flexibility, but it comes at the cost of complexity. And, since we have
>> roughly 35 native language download areas that need attention, I think
>> we need to look to simplicity to expedite the situation.
>>

> I've looked again to Andrea's idea to outsource the JS creation of the
> green box into a separate file and think now it's great with regard to
> other NL webpages. Then only one file needs to be changed and it will work
> for all - for all that have included the JS function call.
>
> So, this is already implemented even when I've not stated separatelly. ;-)
> Please check:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/boxed_download.js
>

>  I think the "tips" strings could match the actual parameter strings,
>> thus eliminating some redundancy there. I'm not sure we need "tips" for
>> the selection box items of OS etc, so maybe more eliminations here.
>>

> Of course they are not the most important part. However, I don't think it
> would reduce any complexity. Furthermore, it has an advantage for disabled
>  people and it's best pratice to describe what the user could expect.
>

>  The same approach as suggested by Andrea could be used for the blue boxes.
>>

> Sure, even this could be outsourced into the separate file. However, here
> I don't see the use case for it. The purpose is very limited and the links
> are relatively set in stone. It's very unlikely that they will change.
>
> But of course maybe you (or anybody else) can tell me better. :-)
>

>  And, I think the right side of the page -- the additional items should
>> be just be left intact as a block and let volunteers translate/change
>> this as they see fit rather than construct it with javascript.
>>

> This increases the complexity for the translators. For the colored boxes
> they have to translate just a JS file that contains all strings. But for
> the nav bar it's needed to translate the content directly in the HTML file?
> Hm.
>
>  Thoughts?
>>

> I don't want to sound too negative. Much is possible but first we need a

Maybe I wasn't prepared for a larger overall strategy like this so soon,
thinking that just initially, we were just addressing the incorrect
download problems. So, time for more l processing by me on all this. And,
initiating changes for our existing native language web areas based on this
new design. So, onward!

>  Yes, I thought about this already a few months ago. A first result was
>>> this:
>>>
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/l10n/index_en.html
>>>
>>> I've done now an example with the new select boxes. You can look into
>>> the HTML code of the main or German download webpage. You will find a
>>> file "msg_prop_l10n_en.js" resp. "msg_prop_l10n_de.js" with all strings
>>> that could be localized. These are assigned in the JS code parts of the
>>> HTML file.
>>>
>>> That means there shouldn't be a need to dive into the HTML+JS code
>>> sections to find the things to translate. OK, except for the "noscript"
>>> parts as I don't know a better way for the moment. So, if someone knows
>>> a way please tell me.
>>>
>>>  Furthermore, I don't like the idea of a static webpage of this size. It

>>> The users that wanted to have a different install file than offered by
>>> the previous One-Click-Download was surely higher than now with the new
>>> "select-what-you-want" way. Only these users were the target audience
>>> for the "other.html" webpage. To build up a relatively easy way to get
>>> what they want. But the noscript users were not the audience.
>>>
>>> The number of users are not very high. It's simply no fun to browse
>>> nowadays through the Internet with disabled JavaScript. Maybe it's even
>>> less funny compared with disabled cookies. ;-)
>>>
>>> Furthermore, there are some add-ons like "Noscript" where you can
>>> fine-tune which website is allowed to browse with enabled JavaScript and
>>> which not.
>>>
>>> Right, the "other.html" could be scripted somehow. But at the moment I'm
>>> still convinced that it is not worth the effort.
>>>
>>> Marcus

MzK

"What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it;
 Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
                -- attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: Portuguese download broken

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/09/2014 11:31 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 06/09/2014 02:21 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> I think we've got work arounds in for our binary release now (I will
>>> double check again.). I would not be in favor of reverting BACK to the
>>> old download because I think what you've done is superior despite some
>>> hiccups. esp the localization aspects.
>>
>> ups, I don't meant a complete revert but just to get the old
>> functionality back (the old functions within "download.js"). Of course
>> the current look&  feel would stay but to have the old working - kind of
>> - in parallel.
>>
>> If I would have known that we have in the meantime so many download
>> pages that rely on the main webpage and its functions, I would have made
>> old and new working in parallel. ;-(
>>
>> I could think of the download.js and release matrix JS file. But I'm not
>> sure if this is all or if something additionally has to be changed.

It seems we are in a lucky position:

It's easier than thought as only the following has to be done:

- Add the following 4 files back to the main download area:
   - download.js
   - globalvars.js
   - exceptions.css
   - release_matrix.js

- Rename the new files with adding something (e.g., "download2.js") to
   separate from the old files.

- Change the file references in the "head" part of the "index.html" in
   the main download webpage, so that the new files will be used.

- Delete the added "Click this temporary link to download"
   text box in every localized "index.html" file.

That's it.

I've tested this locally with the "es" download and it works.

Now the golden question: :-)

Do we want to go on with the temporary way?
Or change back to the old One-Click-Download behavior?

As it was my work that broke the localized webpages of course I would
volunteer to do the work.

>>> So, some of the native lang DLs will just go to Engligh main for now.
>>> I wish just looking at the logic, and seeing what we could do to at
>>> least provide the native language automatically IN the English DL at
>>> least. I'm sure there's a relatively easy way to that. This is actually
>>> making me braver to just use Google translate to setup the download
>>> sub-directories for our released binary areas, but I can't do much on
>>> this until next week.
>>
>> I've made a "proof-of-concept" with the German download webpage. It's
>> with the new select boxes and fully localized. Maybe we can adapt this
>> to the other langauges.
>
> Yes, I saw this and that's when I started digging a bit more.
>
> We may need to further discuss how to handle non-JS folks and if we need
> to reinstate other.html as a static page.

When you now disable JavaScript and reload the main download webpage
then the text and links within the "noscript" HTML tag are displayed.
Now the ASF closer.cgi script [2] is used which is not optimal for our
end users as there are too many possible ways and too many clicks. But
here we can think of using the Sourceforge.net entry page [1] and
improve the display of file names as they are currently shown cut off.

 From my Web Software Engineering experience (my daily job) I know that
the averge user is not browsing with disabled JavaScript (offtopic: or
without cookies) as the very most majority of websites use it nowadays
to offer their full user experience.

Furthermore, I don't like the idea of a static webpage of this size. It
will become bigger with every new released language. I've done the
current improvements to avoid this piece of effort. ;-)

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.0/binaries/

[2] http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi/openoffice/

My 2 ct

Marcus

Re: Portuguese download broken

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 06/08/2014 10:21 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 06/08/2014 09:32 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org
>> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>>         What's gone wrong? Some old JavaScript issues that resurfaced
>>         with the
>>         new download page?

not exactly -- a different NEW js setup with different requirements, etc.

I've attempted to fix all the incorrect DL links in sites for which we
offer binaries --

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.0/binaries/

All of these areas should have direct web site pages --

e.g.

http://www.openoffice.org/hu/

The only exception is the Hebrew website because I know we have an
active volunteer for that site who has just done a lovely overhaul, so
perhaps he can do the fix for that site.

http://www.openoffice.org/he/

We  need some verification for the changes. I did not have all the fonts
for some of these areas, and I don't know what harm I may have done
because of this. We can, of course, do reverts as necessary.

I think the recent download changes are good and will help us establish
a more standardized way of dealing with the downloads. I'm optimistic
that we can 'template' the English download page for this purpose.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Coelho <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi, i can download now. Thanks

Just check another thing, i search oppenoffice in google the first result
take me to https://www.openoffice.org/pt/ then i click on "transferir" that
mean Download in Portuguese but i cant see a button to download, just check
the screenshot below. Should portuguese people download from
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html and select portuguese here
or an option to download on https://www.openoffice.org/pt/download/ is
missing?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5APj4nUT3V8Nlh6ZVZWdWRDVTA/edit?usp=drivesdk