Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Mike Cannon-Brookes <mc...@internet.com> on 2000/10/22 07:06:19 UTC

Bugreports for most taglibs

G'day all,

Just playing with all your taglibs, found a few errors / improvements.

- In general, the docs don't give usage examples - this would be very useful
instead of trying to mentally decode the Javadocs.

- I know for the above you'll say 'look at the example source' but the only
way to do this is to fire up a text editor, why not include a <view:source>
tag to allow people to view the source in their browser. (see
http://cupid.suninternet.com/~joeo/test9.html down the bottom for an
example)

- The REQUEST taglib example war has two bugs:
	- 1) I didn't have an "admin" role defined so Orion gave me an error.
	- 2) The <req:request id="rq" /> tag doesn't work, all the properties are
blank. ( see
http://www.cannonbrookes.com/taglibs/request/examples/request.jsp )

- The SESSION taglib:
	- 1) <sess:session id="ss"/> doesn't seem to work as above, all properties
are blank. Also this leads to all properties afterwards being blank ( see
http://www.cannonbrookes.com/taglibs/session/examples/session.jsp )

- The UTILITY taglib:
	- MAJOR problems here ;)
	- The index.html assumes the WAR is bound to /utility-examples. I've
renamed it default.jsp and attached a fixed copy that uses the current
context path - alternatively just make them all relative paths.
	- None of the examples work, all need the missing class
org.apache.taglibs.utility.lang.ForTagExtraInfo - reason - utility.jar is
always empty. (Didn't have time to try recompiling the sources into the JAR)

- The XSL taglib: all worked! The examples here are a good example (!) of
viewing source etc.

I haven't looked at BSF, JSPSPEC or SQL taglibs.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Mike

PS Someone was mentioning a file taglib, there's two at
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/JspTags - exttags (external) and
filetags - both approach the problem in different ways.

Re: Bugreports for most taglibs

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Thanks Mike, that helped.

I found out what was causing the problem, the script variable being created
was of REQUEST_SCOPE instead of PAGE_SCOPE.  And that makes sense from reading
section 5.5 of the JSP 1.1 spec.  I will fix this and update CVS for those
tag libraries I wrote that are affected by this in the next day or two.

Thanks for the bug report.

Glenn

Posted by Mike Cannon-Brookes <mc...@internet.com>.

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.