Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Markus Fischer <Ma...@knipp.de> on 2013/12/11 15:18:33 UTC

Is Struts 2.3.15.2 affected by the security vulnerability S2-018?

Dear group,

I hope that you can help to clear up my confusion about the current
status of Struts 2.3.15.2 with regards to the security vulnerability
S2-018 (see [1]).

So far, it was my understanding that S2-018 is fixed with the 2.3.15.2
release. And the release notes still suggest that this is the case (see
[2]). Also, in [3] the vulnerability is categorized as only affecting
Struts versions up to 2.3.15.1.

But now I found that S2-018 is listed as vulnerability affecting Struts
2.3.15.2 (see [4]). Also, the description of S2-018 currently states the
following: "In Struts 2 before 2.3.15.3, under certain conditions this
can be used to bypass security constraints."

I am aware that there are backward compatibility issues with the action:
prefix not working with Struts 2.3.15.2. However, some of the projects I
am administrating (and which are running Struts 2.3.15.2) do not make
use of that feature.

My question is: do I need to update those systems in order not to be
affected by a security vulnerability? Or is S2-018 merely listed as
affecting Struts 2.3.15.2 because of the backward compatibility issue,
but the security issue is fixed?

Many tanks in advance,
Markus

[1] http://struts.apache.org/development/2.x/docs/s2-018.html

[2] http://struts.apache.org/development/2.x/docs/version-notes-23152.html

[3] http://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2013-4310/

[4] http://struts.apache.org/downloads.html

Re: Is Struts 2.3.15.2 affected by the security vulnerability S2-018?

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2013/12/17 Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>:
> Great to hear that. BTW, you've been missed on IRC's #struts, drop by
> some time!

Too many communications channels ;-) When entire company will switch
to using IRC I'll be there all the time :-)

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Is Struts 2.3.15.2 affected by the security vulnerability S2-018?

Posted by Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>.
Lukasz,

Just to be sure, does that mean that if you use 2.3.15.3 and you set the
flag to enable the action: prefix it means you'll get the old behaviour
(and vulnerability) back?

Miguel

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.