Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Robert L. Harris" <Ro...@rdlg.net> on 2003/06/18 17:46:03 UTC

[users@httpd] apache2 and htaccess files?

I'm trying to lock down some directories on a server before I put it
live.  The .htaccess files though seem to have no bearing and are not
preventing anyone anywhere from accessing the site.  Here's what I have:

Debian unstable, kernel 2.4.21 (same problem since kernel 2.4.18 though)

dpkg -l | grep -i apache:
ii  apache2-common 2.0.46-3       Next generation, scalable, extendable web se
ii  apache2-mpm-wo 2.0.46-3       High speed threaded model for Apache2
ii  libapache-mod- 2.8.14-3.0.ipv Documentation for Apache module mod_ssl
ii  libapr0        2.0.46-3       The Apache Portable Runtime

root      9688     1  0 Jun12 ?        00:00:13 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start -DSSL
www-data 27866  9688  0 11:29 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start -DSSL
.
.<more children>

Snippets from my /etc/apache2/apache.conf:

AccessFileName .htaccess
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
#    AllowOverride None
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

<Directory /cgi-bin/roast/root>
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   Order deny,allow
   Deny from all
</Directory>

/cgi-bin/roast/root/.htaccess:
{0}:>ls -la .htaccess
-rwxr-xr-x    1 www-data www-data      174 Apr 15 10:40 .htaccess

root@wally
{0}:>cat .htaccess
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Password Required"
AuthUserFile /var/www/passwords/password.file.roast.rdlg
#AuthGroupFile /var/www/passwords/group.file
Require user nomad mamma

{0}:>ls -la /var/www/passwords/password.file.roast.rdlg
-rw-r-----    1 www-data www-data       40 Jun 12 20:51 /var/www/passwords/password.file.roast.rdlg

{0}:>cat /var/www/passwords/password.file.idsadmin.rdlg
mamma:B0avyPzxbvqEo
nomad:FT8afZBwnSulo

If I hit http://server/cgi-bin/roast/root/base.cgi it loads up and displays the
output of the base.cgi script just fine without prompting for a password
of any sort.

Help?
  Thanks,
    Robert

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert@ipv6.rdlg.net	http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = robert@mail.rdlg.net	http://www.rdlg.net

Re: [users@httpd] apache2 and htaccess files?

Posted by "Robert L. Harris" <Ro...@rdlg.net>.

Got rid of that, fixed the perms on my password files and it's finally
working right.  Thank you very much.

What do you recomend for the Allow, Order, section?  Right now it reads:

<Directory /var/www/cgi-bin/roast/root>
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   Options ExecCGI
   Order deny,allow
   Allow from all

Thus spake Joshua Slive (joshua@slive.ca):

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Robert L. Harris" <Ro...@rdlg.net>.

  No, it's off /var/www which used to be DocumentRoot which I'm guessing
is depreciated.  I changed it to /var/www/cgi-bin/roast/root and now it
doesn't let me in and gives a 403 but still doesn't ask for passwd.  I
guess it's probably because I'm using the .htaccess.

Given this:

<Directory /var/www/cgi-bin/ids/admin>
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   Order deny,allow
   Deny from all
</Directory>

and the .htaccess:
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Password Required"
AuthUserFile /var/www/passwords/password.file.idsadmin.rdlg
#AuthGroupFile /var/www/passwords/group.file
Require user nomad mamma

How would you you reform the Directory directive?  Something like this?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.