Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jim Gellman <jg...@systemsbiology.org> on 2008/01/14 20:59:47 UTC

backing up a jackrabbit repository

Hi folks,

We're building a portal that will hold a large repository of scientific
data -- a couple of terabytes anyway.  I'm trying to figure out how
we're going to back this up.  I saw a pointer to something called
BackupTool on the site but the URL to check out the source is broken
(where did the contrib directory go, anyway?  I've looked at both the
trunk and the 1.3 branch.)

So what's the best way to do this?

- Use the backup tool?
- Shut down the repository and rsync everything under my repository
directory?  (if so, should certain files be ignored?)

I saw hot backup listed as a late 2008/2009 project.  Is that under
development currently?

jim

Re: backing up a jackrabbit repository

Posted by Jacco van Weert <11...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 14, 2008 8:59 PM, Jim Gellman <jg...@systemsbiology.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> We're building a portal that will hold a large repository of scientific
> data -- a couple of terabytes anyway.  I'm trying to figure out how
> we're going to back this up.  I saw a pointer to something called
> BackupTool on the site but the URL to check out the source is broken
> (where did the contrib directory go, anyway?  I've looked at both the
> trunk and the 1.3 branch.)
>
> So what's the best way to do this?
>
> - Use the backup tool?
> - Shut down the repository and rsync everything under my repository
> directory?  (if so, should certain files be ignored?)
>
> I saw hot backup listed as a late 2008/2009 project.  Is that under
> development currently?

Hello,

The simplest way is just to backup the complete repository directory.
We use for the JeCARS project our own (hot) backup tool, it can also backup
standard Jackrabbit repositories.
A "hot" solution would be to connect to Jackrabbit using RMI.
We are working on the documentation and useability.... but the sourcecode is
available;

http://jecars.sourceforge.net

Screenshot of the tool;
http://jecars.wiki.sourceforge.net/How+to+use+the+JeCARS+backup+facility