Posted to ruleqa@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Andre Selig <a2...@sedacon.com> on 2013/08/31 16:24:58 UTC

New error message: Unmatched '<>'

Hello,

I noticed this error message today after the weekly mass-check run:

| Unmatched '<>' in "OnlineDoctorate"<mallets;44@bella3deals.com;>^M at
| /usr/share/perl5/Mail/Address.pm line 161.

The same error message (with "^M" replaced by "_") was logged by spamd
on the mail server when the message arrived in the first place.

The offending message [for my reference: it's in file
1376470986.3281_162.falun:2,S] has this malformed line:

| From: "OnlineDoctorate" <mallets;44@bella3deals.com;>

/usr/share/perl5/Mail/Address.pm is of course a file provided by the host
system; it's from Mail::Address 2.06, installed through Debian oldstable,
package libmailtools-perl 2.06-1.

While the address is clearly malformed, SpamAssassin should be able to
handle the message without throwing an error message.  After all, lots
of spam messages contain malformed parts, but the sysadmin is probably
not interested in knowing about them.

Mail::Address seems to be at 2.12 right now.  I have not checked whether
upgrading it makes any difference.

Regards,
Marc

Re: New error message: Unmatched '<>'

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 08/31/2013 04:24 PM, Marc Andre Selig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed this error message today after the weekly mass-check run:
>
> | Unmatched '<>' in "OnlineDoctorate"<mallets;44@bella3deals.com;>^M at
> | /usr/share/perl5/Mail/Address.pm line 161.
>
> The same error message (with "^M" replaced by "_") was logged by spamd
> on the mail server when the message arrived in the first place.
>
> The offending message [for my reference: it's in file
> 1376470986.3281_162.falun:2,S] has this malformed line:
>
> | From: "OnlineDoctorate" <mallets;44@bella3deals.com;>
>
> /usr/share/perl5/Mail/Address.pm is of course a file provided by the host
> system; it's from Mail::Address 2.06, installed through Debian oldstable,
> package libmailtools-perl 2.06-1.
>
> While the address is clearly malformed, SpamAssassin should be able to
> handle the message without throwing an error message.  After all, lots
> of spam messages contain malformed parts, but the sysadmin is probably
> not interested in knowing about them.
>
> Mail::Address seems to be at 2.12 right now.  I have not checked whether
> upgrading it makes any difference.

Running Centos 6.4 & Mail::Address installed on my main masscheck box

on a second box which also does a smaller corpus I have

perl -MMail::Address -e 'print "$Mail::Address::VERSION\n"'
2.04

and no errors.

Updating that module may solve your problem before ppl start looking
into SA for errors