Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2015/11/05 15:09:14 UTC

[RFC] Metrics views for CloudStack UI

Hi all,

The present CloudStack UI hides most of the metrics data such as cpu, memory, disk, network usage in inner detail views. Such information is critical to find issues in one’s cloud, for example finding clusters where hosts are failing, or finding storage pools where disk space has depleted beyond configured global or cluster thresholds.

The metrics views for CloudStack UI is an attempt to solve those problems that brings in several UI enhancements such as sortable tables, new status icons, methods to control breadcrumb navigation, making UI’s global list* API pagesize dynamic, a new table widget based on listView widget that is both horizontally and vertically scrollable, supports cell/threshold coloring, collapsible columns along with navigation from one view to another and quick-view actions. For example, currently support navigation are: Zone to Cluster to Host to Instance to Volumes, and Storage Pool to Volumes.

The current version implements six resource views for zone, cluster, host, instance, volume and storage pool (primary storage). The metrics framework (based on listView widget) would allow developers to write more such view where information can be densely packed.

Please checkout the FS (with some screenshots) and the PR;

FS: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9020
JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9020
PR: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1038

Comments and suggestions?

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue

[cid:image003.png@01D104EF.CE276C40]

M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>
Blog: bhaisaab.org<http://bhaisaab.org> | Twitter: @_bhaisaab

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [RFC] Metrics views for CloudStack UI

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Stephan,

Domain admins are not shown infrastructure tab, so while they may still access metrics view for instances and volumes, they won't be able to see metrics for rest of the resources (zones, clusters, hosts and storage pool). I'll discuss and incorporate changes to allow showing volume and instances metrics.

Regards.

You've added the metrics view at the Infrastructure tab. This is nice
for the platform ops.
I assume the very same metrics would also be a benefit for domain-admins
(say: customers). I'ld suggest to add this view somewhere below the
Instances tab.

cheers,

- Stephan

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Stephan,

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com>.
This looks really great!

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com>.
This looks really great!

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Since we're still at it, does the current metrics view show total virtual core count per host (perhaps vs real core count)?
Is this something we could have?

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Lucian,

- We are showing number of cores on the instances metrics view
- We can increase the width of the container/list-view but the UI assumes 1024px to be the width and with this assumption several widgets/css rules are put in place, so it's a challenge to get it right without breaking seen/unseen widgets and views. For such reasons, the columns are made collapsible to hide a group of columns in case you don't want to use horizontal scrolling and widths of columns made shorter to pack more information (increase the information density). The other issue is all the widgets you see are created by JS code (directly using DOM manupulations) so it's hard to reason about responsive widgets (many have fixed widths, or absolute positions based on where the container starts etc). I can try if we can somehow implement a responsive design/container.

Regards.

Posted by Osay Osman Yuuni <oy...@gmail.com>.
@Rohit, great job.  Looks cool as well as fulfills long overdue feature.
Kudos!

Osay

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Marcus,

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Marcus,

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nux,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Lucian,

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nux,

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Great work Rohit,

AW: Cloudmonkey: get key and value pairs

Posted by "Jochim, Ingo" <In...@bautzen-it.de>.
Setting the display to json format made it to work for me.

Regards,
Ingo

I'd like to list my VMs with the key and value pairs I specified through the GUI.
Now I'm getting the key and the value as separate fields.
If I have more pairs I'm getting a separate area below the actual VM.

What is the best approach to list all the key value pairs for an object?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ingo

Cloudmonkey: get key and value pairs

Posted by cs user <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rohit,

This looks fantastic to me. It's a very much needed addition to the UI.
Look forward to trying it out at some point in the future :-)

Thanks!

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
I think we need a new set of APIs in the future to retrieve the content
much faster, current API calls in environment with thousands of VMs are
really slow.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Wido,

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.