Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Da...@dse.vic.gov.au on 2006/08/10 02:35:45 UTC

http compression not working with Axis 1.4

Hi,

I am trying to use the out of the box axis compression to send a gzipped
message with using Axis 1.4 as per
instructions outlined in
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/GzipCompression, however the
messages are
to be sent to the endpoint uncompressed.

I am using Axis 1.4 with J2SE 5.0 and commons-httpclient 3.1.0 with eclipse
3.2 and websphere 6.1 all on my local
dev machine.  I have set up a servlet filter (/*) to intercept and log the
incoming web service calls at the endpoint
*prior*  to the axis listener (which it does according to my stacktrace),
hence prior to any decompression. The extracted
InputStream message is the readable SOAP message that I sent through - I
would assume gzip compression would render
my message unreadable by the human eye..??

Is this a known issue of sorts,or perhaps a library version
interoperability problem, or am I just
missing something?

To assist I can report the following::

I  added the Axis 1.4 and commons-httpclient 3.1.0 sources to my workspace
as eclipse projects and stepped through
them.  I can cofirm that CommonsHttpSender is correctly determining
MC_GZIP_REQUEST and creating the GzipMessageRequestEntity
as required, and that the contents of the GZipOutputStream are created and
flushed to the enclosing ChunkedOutputStream as required.

However, in the method writeRequestBody(HttpState state, HttpConnection
conn) of class EntityEnclosingMethod (line 463) it
appears that these compressed ChunkedOutputStream contents are not flushed
to its encapsulating BufferedOutputStream
(which writes directly to the endpoint socket) - instead the
BufferedOutputStream flushes its original data (vanilla soap
document) to the endpoint.

Thanks in adavnce,
Damian Phillips