Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2012/03/28 16:17:24 UTC

[Math] On-demand cobertura report

Hello.

Please disable the default running of cobertura in "mvn site". It is
unbearably slow: e.g. on my machine, "FastMathTest" takes 1,544 seconds
(that's a comma there; i.e. ~25 minutes!).

If on-demand disable/enable switches are not (yet) available from maven's
command-line options, could we have a new target that would run those very
time-consuming reports (something like "mvn full-site")?
Alternatively, "mvn site" could produce the full thing, but we would have a
new "mvn quick-site" for generating report like "CheckStyle" and "FindBugs".

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [Math] On-demand cobertura report

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Gilles Sadowski <
gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Please disable the default running of cobertura in "mvn site". It is
> unbearably slow: e.g. on my machine, "FastMathTest" takes 1,544 seconds
> (that's a comma there; i.e. ~25 minutes!).
>
> If on-demand disable/enable switches are not (yet) available from maven's
> command-line options, could we have a new target that would run those very
> time-consuming reports (something like "mvn full-site")?
> Alternatively, "mvn site" could produce the full thing, but we would have a
> new "mvn quick-site" for generating report like "CheckStyle" and
> "FindBugs".

I think you'll need to create a "quick-site" alternative because anyone
else trying to build will expect "site" to build the complete site.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [Math] On-demand cobertura report

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28 March 2012 17:18, Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, that's not it: Cobertura still runs the tests. :-(
>>
>> -Dcobertura.skip
>>
>> is what the documentation says.
>>
>> http://mojo.codehaus.org/cobertura-maven-plugin/instrument-mojo.html
>
> this seams to just skip the instrumentation, but the tests are still
> executed, and generate an error afterwards.
>
> Skipping the tests in general also prevent the cobertura run, as it is
> executed as part of the test phase afaik:
>
> mvn site -Dmaven.test.skip=true -Dcobertura.skip=true
>
> worked for me now (the cobertura.skip is still necessary, otherwise the
> cobertura report is created as part of the site and fails).

To speed up site generation, I find the following profile is helpful:

    <profile>
      <id>UseWhateverNameSuitsYouHere</id>
      <properties>
        <skipTests>true</skipTests>
        <maven.javadoc.skip>true</maven.javadoc.skip>
        <maven.clover.skip>true</maven.clover.skip>
        <cobertura.skip>true</cobertura.skip>
        <findbugs.skip>true</findbugs.skip>
        <pmd.skip>true</pmd.skip>
      </properties>
    </profile>

This can go in your settings.xml.
I guess we could add it to Commons Parent

There may be a few other skip properties to add.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Gilles Sadowski <