Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Santosh Achhra <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/08 09:04:51 UTC

Map Reduce Local Task

Hello,

I was reading an article on web which tells about MapReduce local Task and
use of hash table files and conditional tasks to improve performance of
hive queries.

Any idea how to implement this ? I am aware of Map joins but I am sure how
to implement Map reduce local tasks with hash tables.

Good wishes,always !
Santosh

Re: Map Reduce Local Task

Posted by be...@yahoo.com.
Hi Santhosh

As long as the smaller table size is in the range of a few MBs. It is a good candidate for map join.

If the smaller table size is still more then you can take a look at bucketed map joins.

Regards
Bejoy KS

Posted by Santosh Achhra <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Dean,

Re: Map Reduce Local Task

Posted by Dean Wampler <de...@thinkbiganalytics.com>.
That setting will make Hive more aggressive about trying to convert a join
to a local task, where it bypasses the job tracker. When you're
experimenting with queries on a small data set, it can make things much
faster, but won't be useful for large data sets where you need the cluster.

dean

--
*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*
thinkbiganalytics.com