Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by martin stanik <ma...@ecs-online.sk> on 2008/10/28 14:30:58 UTC

should derby use addShutdownHook() out of box?

hi,

I (silly boy) do not understand why derby engine needs to be shut down using
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true");

My application uses datasource, which is  _sometimes_  configured to use
derby.
I do not like always execute the statement, as derby might be not in use and
it could
cause loading derby classes.
I do not like idea to investigate my datasource if it does use derby or not.

Since 1.3 we have Runtime.addShutdownHook() - for me it looks like perfect
solution
and derby should use it  by default after starting engine.

Am i wrong? Where i could found arguments?

thanks, martin