Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de> on 2008/09/19 11:27:29 UTC

Integrating MyFaces in RichFaces VE

Hi there,

does anyone know how to integrate MyFaces (especially Trinidad) tag
libraries
properly in RichFaces VE (Visual Editor)?

If there's some documentation in the
web a link would be welcome (I did quite some searching but couldn't find
anything that really helped me further than what I achieved until now (see
below)...)!

Background:
We have been using Eclipse/Exadel Studio for our development (Trinidad,
Facelets, etc.).
As the Exadel licences have expired we'd like to switch to the RichFaces VE
(Visual
Editor, a module of JBoss Tools, which is something like the "successor" to
Exadel...).
Sidenote: We're on "eclipse-jee-europa-winter" release...

RichFaces VE by itself doesn't know the Trinidad libraries. The only way I
found to
integrate them is quite clumsy and yields unsatisfactory results:
Creating a new "Web Project", copying the Trinidad
TLD files (tr.tld, trh.tld) into it and then configuring a new tag library
via the
"Web Project view". I can then drag and drop the new library into the JBoss
Tools Palette
but there's still neither code completion nor does the Properties panel know
the Trinidad tags' attributes :-(

Somebody out there must be using this stuff ;-}

Many thanks in advance,
Carsten

Re: Integrating MyFaces in RichFaces VE

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
the support is a bit rough, like doing all the config on your own.
but the ve is supporting Trinidad.

-M

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Carsten Pieper
<ca...@continentale.de> wrote:

> Hm, really nobody out there using Eclipse Europa and RichFaces VE 2.1?
>
> However, trying not to be too stubborn (and not sticking to Europa for the
> sake of it although this might be company policy ;-) ) I started fumbling
> with
> Ganymede (the "current" eclipse-jee-ganymede-win32.zip).
> Via Eclipse's "Software Update" feature I updated the Web Tool Platform
> stuff
> (Web Tools (WTP) Update Site: http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/updates).
>
> But when I open the "Web Perspective" the only drawer in the "Snippets" view
> (which
> seems to be the equivalent of the "Xxx Palette" view) is "JSP". No Trinidad,
> no
> Facelets, even no "ordinary" JSF stuff :-O
>
> (and yes, I restarted Eclipse with "-clean")
>
> Did I miss anything???
>
> Thanks so far,
> Carsten
>

> Matthias Wessendorf-4 wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yes Ganymede has support for Trinidad and Facelets.
>> They are working on improving it as well. I think an
>> update to Ganymede may be a thing to evaluate.
>>
>> -M
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:35 AM, Carsten Pieper
>> <ca...@continentale.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Cagatay,
>>>
>>> thank you for the hint, but wtp 3.0 is for Ganymede
>>> (http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_FAQ#What_version_of_Eclipse_does_WTP_work_with.3F)
>>> and we're still on Eclipse Europa (though we probably might have to
>>> switch
>>> if things really
>>> don't work out for us...)
>>>
>>> Thanks anyway, Carsten

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Matthias Wessendorf

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Integrating MyFaces in RichFaces VE

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Hi all,

I still don't feel like writing a WIKI page about this, as our result still
isn't
perfect. But at least, we got something we can work with now and if anyone
is still listening I'd like to share this...

(Just as a reminder: We're writing JSF applications using MyFaces Trinidad
and Facelets)

What do we have:
JBoss Tools Palette working, code assist working for tags, tags' attributes
and
bean properties in expression language blocks (note that code assist
responds
quite slowly, especially when requesting the first time after Eclipse
startup..).

What is still missing:
The Properties view only shows the attributes in use, not all attributes of
the selected tag.

How did we get this:
- Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede) with JBoss Tools (note that we had to plugin the
whole
suite, not just RichFaces VE, to get this working!)
- add jars from the JSF Facelets Tools Project to Eclipse plugins
   (see
http://wiki.eclipse.org/JSF_Facelets_Tools_Project#How_to_do_I_get_it.3F):
  As we are using Facelets, this proved to be crucial! Without these jars
nothing
  (code assist, JBoss Tools Palette...) worked for us!
- we initially imported tr.tld and trh.tld into the JBoss Palette via the
Palette's
   import feature. However, with the above configuration we are now able to
  hand round the Trinidad stuff for the Palette by copying and pasting the
  attached configuration files Palette.xml and Preferences.xml which have
been
  created by the Palette's import feature (from/to the directory
  <workspace-dir>/.metadata/.plugins/org.jboss.tools.common.model)

Hope that helps anyone else!

Carsten
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19857253/Palette.xml Palette.xml
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19857253/Preferences.xml Preferences.xml

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Hello Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
If you have the incentive, this would be a good WIKI page to write and
attach your palette.xml to that page.

-Andrew

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.

Carsten Pieper wrote:

> Hi Adil,
>
> sorry for my late reply - have been on sick leave since last Wednesday...
>
>> Did you remove the previous .classpath , .project, .setting and .metadata
>> files?
> Well, I removed .classpath , .project and .setting (as Fred's adviced to
> do in
> http://www.nabble.com/Management-of-version-2.5-of-Dynamic-web-module-tt19529627.html)
> but left the .metadata directory untouched.
>
> However, my colleagues have solved our problems in the meantime (don't
> know any details yet). If the solution is related to this thread, I'll
> drop a note...
>
> Best regards, Carsten
>

> ADIL KELLOUAI wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> Did you remove the previous .classpath , .project, .setting and .metadata
>> files?
>>
>> 2008/9/23 Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>
>>

>>> Hello Adil, thanks for your message,

>>> How do I achieve that? I looked around a bit and found this
>>>
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Management-of-version-2.5-of-Dynamic-web-module-tt19529627.html
>>> (which you might know ;-) ) and tried to follow Fred's advice.
>>>
>>> As far as I got it,
>>> that meant changing the "version" attribute in the web.xml's "web-app"
>>> tag
>>> from
>>> 2.4 to 2.5 (and adjusting the "xsi:schemaLocation" attribute to 2.5,
>>> too).
>>> I

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Hi Adil,

Posted by ADIL KELLOUAI <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Hello Adil, thanks for your message,

> make sure that your project is a 2.5 dynamic web module
How do I achieve that? I looked around a bit and found this
http://www.nabble.com/Management-of-version-2.5-of-Dynamic-web-module-tt19529627.html
(which you might know ;-) ) and tried to follow Fred's advice.

As far as I got it,
that meant changing the "version" attribute in the web.xml's "web-app" tag
from
2.4 to 2.5 (and adjusting the "xsi:schemaLocation" attribute to 2.5, too). I

Posted by ADIL KELLOUAI <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Answer to self:

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.
Hi Cameron,

> To get support JSF in JSP, you simply need to put the jar files that
> contain them
> on your class path.  There are several ways to do this.  The simplest, is
> to copy
> them into WEB-INF/lib.  A better way to is to add them as classpath
> libraries in your
> Eclipse Web project.
thanks for the information, but we already had the Trinidad jar files in our
classpath,
i.e. they're among the Maven dependencies and if I try to add them once
more, Eclipse
is complaining about "Build path contains duplicate entry...".

Probably the JSF integration only works properly for a certain project
structure?
As implied above, our projects follow the ususal "Maven structure". Do only
"Dynamic Web
Projects" get the whole benefit? Well, you wrote of an "Eclipse Web
Project", so
this really might be the crucial point...

>  If you have any further questions, we have a newsgroup focussed on
> question
> about the Eclipse JSF tooling:
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.webtools.jsf
Thanks again! I found it a little difficult to find my way in this but yes,
that might
be the place to have a thorough look at...

Cheers,
Carsten

Hi Carsten,

To get support JSF in JSP, you simply need to put the jar files that contain
them on your class path.  There are several ways to do this.  The simplest,
is to copy them into WEB-INF/lib.  A better way to is to add them as
classpath libraries in your Eclipse Web project.  If you have any further

Re: Integrating MyFaces in RichFaces VE

Posted by Carsten Pieper <ca...@continentale.de>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,