Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Peter Demling <pd...@yahoo.com> on 2000/12/28 21:27:01 UTC

Book/code recommendations needed for an urgent mod_perrl task

Greetings from a 1st-time poster,

I'm a seasoned web programmer, but a Perl beginner and
mod_perl stranger who has an "as soon as possible"
mod_perl script to write for our Apache web server, so
I'd appreciate any recommendations for books or code
you may have, which could assist me in my task.  What
I have to do is as follows:

Write a mod_perl script which will: 1] be invoked
(with parameters) by a web client; 2] use its input
parameters to construct an SQL statement; 3] query an
Oracle database on a seperate machine with the
constructed SQL statement; 4] use the returned query
results to set the values of some variables; 5] use
these variables to construct HTML output, and send it
back to the web client.

I'm a quick-read, so as a Perl beginner who wants to
keep the script as simple as possible, I'm assuming
that "Learning Perl" is the best text for me, but does
anyone think that "Programming Perl" OR "The Perl
Cookbook" might be a better choice?  I'm also thinking
that "Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C" will be
neccessary, but perhaps the online mod_perl guide
would be sufficient?

Last, I'm assuming that the basic structure of this
databse-driven web script is fairly common, so any
pointers to relevant code I could base this on would
be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
 -Peter Demling
  Amherst, MA
  pdemling@yahoo.com

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: Book/code recommendations needed for an urgent mod_perrl task

Posted by ___cliff rayman___ <cl...@genwax.com>.
reading ALL those books is highly recommended.
u might be able to handle the task at hand faily
quickly with:

DBIx::Recordset  (i've never used it - but it looks easy)

and

HTML::Embperl (i use it extensively and i'm very happy with it)

both are available at www.cpan.org

good luck!

--
___cliff rayman___cliff@genwax.com___http://www.genwax.com/

Posted by Greg Cope <gr...@rubberplant.freeserve.co.uk>.
Peter Demling wrote:

> Greetings from a 1st-time poster,
>
> I'm a seasoned web programmer, but a Perl beginner and
> mod_perl stranger who has an "as soon as possible"
> mod_perl script to write for our Apache web server, so
> I'd appreciate any recommendations for books or code
> you may have, which could assist me in my task.  What
> I have to do is as follows:
>
> Write a mod_perl script which will: 1] be invoked
> (with parameters) by a web client; 2] use its input
> parameters to construct an SQL statement; 3] query an
> Oracle database on a seperate machine with the
> constructed SQL statement; 4] use the returned query
> results to set the values of some variables; 5] use
> these variables to construct HTML output, and send it
> back to the web client.
>
> I'm a quick-read, so as a Perl beginner who wants to
> keep the script as simple as possible, I'm assuming
> that "Learning Perl" is the best text for me, but does
> anyone think that "Programming Perl" OR "The Perl
> Cookbook" might be a better choice?  I'm also thinking
> that "Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C" will be
> neccessary, but perhaps the online mod_perl guide
> would be sufficient?

IMHO Learning Perl is a little basic for someone with a bit of
programming experience - if you have little experience then read it.

Apache Modules in Perl & C has is some excellent book - and has some
good examples.

I find the Cookbook excellent for the answer to the "How do I do XXX ?"
questions.

Read the Guide - period !