Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Honey gandhi <ga...@icloud.com.INVALID> on 2020/06/16 07:51:02 UTC

Not able to identify body vitals

Hi,

I am using ctakes for processing clinical documents.
My documents  has body vitals like ‘blood pressure’, ‘body temperature’, ‘respiratory’, ’spo2’, ‘height’, ‘weight’ etc in addition to other things.
I have tried running full.piper through crakes-web-rest and it has not identified any of these parameters.

Que. 1: Does ctakes identify these parameters?
Que  2: Is there any component that I need to activate for this?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Honey G.

Re: Not able to identify body vitals [EXTERNAL]

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Honey,

ctakes efforts on lab values have been light, mostly because they exist in structured database entries.

There is an annotation engine named "LabValueFinder" that can create a LabMention annotation and fill in an associated value.  It was contributed by Kean Kaufmann several years ago.  You can see the original Jira here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CTAKES-441 and a web search on "LabValueFinder ctakes" should provide links to conversations on the mailing lists, etc.

To use it, just place "add LabValueFinder" anywhere after dictionary lookup  in your piper file.

There are a number of parameters that can be used to change its behavior, the most significant is probably "useDrugs".  This will toggle whether or not the LabValueFinder treats some drug mentions as lab mentions.  In the past I have turned this on (default is off).  To do so, use "add LabValueFinder useDrugs=true"

Sean