Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Unico Hommes <Un...@hippo.nl> on 2001/12/10 14:56:23 UTC

Caching strategies for Slide

Hi,

I was wondering how to be notified of changes that occur to Slide resources
in order to control caching for slide-backed data objects. I have looked at
ContentInterceptor class but don't see how to determine wether a resource
has been deleted from that for instance. It seems that when a resource is
deleted via webdav ContentInterceptor::postRetrieveContent() is being called
but nothing else. The other stategy I can think of is to let my data objects
check the last-modified property of the RevisionDescriptor associated with
the SubjectNode they wrap, I could check for deletion in a similar fashion
by asking the NamespaceAccessToken to retrieve that SubjectNode again. I am
concerned about the impact this will have on performance. The application I
am writing is multi-threaded and must potentially be able to service many
simultaneous clients. Can anyone tell me how Slide caching strategy works.
Another question is about how to handle concurrency. I noticed that Slide
uses java.util.Vector in many places does this mean I don't need to
serialize access to these stores ?

Regards,
Unico

Re: Caching strategies for Slide

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how to be notified of changes that occur to Slide
resources
> in order to control caching for slide-backed data objects. I have looked
at
> ContentInterceptor class but don't see how to determine wether a resource
> has been deleted from that for instance. It seems that when a resource is
> deleted via webdav ContentInterceptor::postRetrieveContent() is being
called
> but nothing else. The other stategy I can think of is to let my data
objects
> check the last-modified property of the RevisionDescriptor associated with
> the SubjectNode they wrap, I could check for deletion in a similar fashion
> by asking the NamespaceAccessToken to retrieve that SubjectNode again. I
am
> concerned about the impact this will have on performance. The application
> am writing is multi-threaded and must potentially be able to service many
> simultaneous clients. Can anyone tell me how Slide caching strategy works.
> Another question is about how to handle concurrency. I noticed that Slide
> uses java.util.Vector in many places does this mean I don't need to
> serialize access to these stores ?

At the moment, I think the bast would be to extend the caching engine and
add the checks you need, because there are no such hooks in Slide at the
moment. You can do that by extending the StandardStore, or also by
reimplementing the functionality it provides (in which case you would extend
AbstractStore).

Remy