Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kim Christensen <ki...@01.se> on 2006/11/23 09:56:14 UTC

Skip spamd for certain users

Hey list,

I have qmail+vpopmail+spamassasin configured and working correctly.
However, I have a situation where some of the users wants to have their
spam moved to a folder in their IMAP accounts.

Therefore, I have set up a procmail script which seems to be working,
but since spamd is stopping all spam before it gets to vpopmail for
procmail management, I need to set up some kind of filter in spamd for
those particular domains to let the mail through to the "second" spam
check by procmail.

Anyone who has done something similar, or can point me in the right
direction? I though of whitelisting those domains in the SA config, but
wouldn't that whitelist the domain in the second check aswell?

Best regards
--
Kim Christensen
"It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything."

Re: Skip spamd for certain users

Posted by Kim Christensen <ki...@01.se>.
* Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net> [2006-11-23 05:22:12 -0500]:

> Kim Christensen wrote:
> > Hey list,
> >
> > I have qmail+vpopmail+spamassasin configured and working correctly.
> > However, I have a situation where some of the users wants to have their
> > spam moved to a folder in their IMAP accounts.
> >
> > Therefore, I have set up a procmail script which seems to be working,
> > but since spamd is stopping all spam before it gets to vpopmail for
> > procmail management, I need to set up some kind of filter in spamd for
> > those particular domains to let the mail through to the "second" spam
> > check by procmail.
> >
> How's it doing that? ie: what other tool is calling spamc? Spamd by
> itself doesn't do anything, so there's got to be some other integration
> point besides your procmail script.
>
> That's going to be your key. You need to get that tool to selectively
> not scan mail. My guess is that it's being called somewhere at the qmail
> level. Qmail-scanner?

Yeah, qmail-scanner is the hook for spamd. The problem resolved itself
though, thanks for taking your time to reply (see my previous mail in
the thread)!

Best regards
--
Kim Christensen
"You met me at a very strange time in my life."

Re: Skip spamd for certain users

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Kim Christensen wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I have qmail+vpopmail+spamassasin configured and working correctly.
> However, I have a situation where some of the users wants to have their
> spam moved to a folder in their IMAP accounts.
>
> Therefore, I have set up a procmail script which seems to be working,
> but since spamd is stopping all spam before it gets to vpopmail for
> procmail management, I need to set up some kind of filter in spamd for
> those particular domains to let the mail through to the "second" spam
> check by procmail.

How's it doing that? ie: what other tool is calling spamc? Spamd by
itself doesn't do anything, so there's got to be some other integration
point besides your procmail script.

That's going to be your key. You need to get that tool to selectively
not scan mail. My guess is that it's being called somewhere at the qmail
level. Qmail-scanner?

> Anyone who has done something similar, or can point me in the right
> direction? I though of whitelisting those domains in the SA config, but
> wouldn't that whitelist the domain in the second check aswell?

Yes it would.

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <bo...@bobcatos.com>.
On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 01:21:15AM -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 01:00, Kim Christensen wrote:
> > That's what I'm doing, sorry for not being totally clear about that.
> >
> > Thank you for your quick reply!
>
> Well if a user has a (dot) .procmailrc script in their directory
> it will over-ride the one in /etc.  That way those users that
> don't want to miss a single little blue pill spam can just
> choose to accept all of them.

Umm, actually the man page for procmail says, in part:

   If no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command line,  proc-
   mail  will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc, interpret commands from
   /etc/procmailrc  (if  present).   Care  must  be  taken  when  creating
   /etc/procmailrc,  because, if circumstances permit, it will be executed
   with  root  privileges  (contrary  to  the  $HOME/.procmailrc  file  of
   course).

> Lots of people use system wide procmailrc scripts (in /etc)
> to toss out what is obviously and incontestably spam, such
> as something scoring over 20, and let the rest flow through
> to the user.
>
> I think there are examples of this on the SA website, and the wiki.
>

> --
> _____________________________________
> John Andersen

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"Where you go in the hereafter depends on what you were after here."
  - Thanks to Graffiti, 2 March 2004

Re: Skip spamd for certain users

Posted by Kim Christensen <ki...@01.se>.
* John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net> [2006-11-23 01:21:15 -0900]:

> On Thursday 23 November 2006 01:00, Kim Christensen wrote:
> > That's what I'm doing, sorry for not being totally clear about that.
> >
> > Thank you for your quick reply!
>
> Well if a user has a (dot) .procmailrc script in their directory
> it will over-ride the one in /etc.  That way those users that
> don't want to miss a single little blue pill spam can just
> choose to accept all of them.
>
> Lots of people use system wide procmailrc scripts (in /etc)
> to toss out what is obviously and incontestably spam, such
> as something scoring over 20, and let the rest flow through
> to the user.
>
> I think there are examples of this on the SA website, and the wiki.

Once again, thanks - should have checked there first. Tight deadlines
have a strange affection on common logic :-)

Best regards
--
Kim Christensen
"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise."

Re: Skip spamd for certain users

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

Posted by Kim Christensen <ki...@01.se>.
* John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net> [2006-11-23 00:24:02 -0900]:

> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 23:56, Kim Christensen wrote:
> > Therefore, I have set up a procmail script which seems to be working,
> > but since spamd is stopping all spam before it gets to vpopmail for
> > procmail management, I need to set up some kind of filter in spamd for
> > those particular domains to let the mail through to the "second" spam
> > check by procmail.
>
> How did you get spamd to "stop all the spam"?
> I've only been able to get spamd to MARK spam.

Sorry, I don't think I've read up on the whole SA process yet. Yes, the
SPAM gets through and get marked with a score. Now that I'm aware of
that, I realize that the problem lies in my procmail script :-)

> Why can't you use a per-user .procmailrc ?

That's what I'm doing, sorry for not being totally clear about that.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Best regards
--
Kim Christensen
"Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Re: Skip spamd for certain users

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.