Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2022/09/08 16:42:54 UTC

slf4j 2.0.0 - bumpy upgrade path

slf4j 2.0.0 was recently released and it is rather different to slf4j 1.7.x.

Has anyone had any experience of this change-over yet?

Just a local update seemed to work on a project I tried it out on. That
was a change to the choice of log4j2 artifact as well -
"log4j-slf4j-impl" to "log4j-slf4j18-impl".

The question for Jena upgrading to slf4j-api 2.0.0 is what impacts it
has on client apps.

Can client apps just switch Jena versions given they themselves will be
selecting a choice of slf4j implementation or bridge to actual logging
systems?

The answer seems to be "no".

https://www.slf4j.org/faq.html#changesInVersion200

It looks like a long-timescale change over unless some kind of slf4j
adapters appear to convert 2.0.0 service loading into a 1.7 search for
StaticLoggerBinder.

So I suggest we do not upgrade, wait to see what happens in the rest of
the world, and close dependabot PR #1506.

     Andy

Re: slf4j 2.0.0 - bumpy upgrade path

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
This commit (to RDF Delta) puts the choice of slf4j 1.7.x vs 2.x in one
place: two POM properties in the top POM.

https://github.com/afs/rdf-delta/commit/90bbc25435f803c6b2fb77963870e5ede27b4a7f

     Andy

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <ki...@apache.org>.