Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jeremy Denton <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/25 09:05:27 UTC

So... Betwixt...

Is anyone actually using Betwixt? I can't imagine that I'm the only
one.. Strangely it's feature set is useful to my criteria.

Jeremy

Re: FOP not identifying the packages

Posted by Mattias Jiderhamn <mj...@expertsystem.se>.
At 2005-08-25 12:31, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Im using Jakartas FOP to convert xml to PDF file.
>When im trying to compile the FopServlet.java example file its saying
>following does not exist.
>Its not identifying the packages.
>
>import org.apache.fop.apps.Driver;
>import org.apache.fop.apps.XSLTInputHandler;
>import org.apache.fop.messaging.MessageHandler;
>
>import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.ConsoleLogger;
>import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger;
>
>kindly help me out.
>Madhavi

Try the FOP project mailing lists, instead of the Jakarta Commons project.

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/maillist.html

FOP not identifying the packages

Re: So... Betwixt...

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/05, Jeremy Denton <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is anyone actually using Betwixt? I can't imagine that I'm the only
> one.. Strangely it's feature set is useful to my criteria.

DdlUtils is using it (http://db.apache.org/ddlutils) and OJB will
(hopefully) by the end of this year.

Tom

Re: So... Betwixt...

Posted by sol myr <so...@yahoo.com>.
We've been using Betwixt too :)
We use it when transferring XML data over MQ transport.
Also for reading configuration files.

Admittedly we haven't been demanding much from it (this is not to say betwixt is limited...! we just haven't reached the point where we need to push it):

A) our data is small - average data about 1 kilobyte

B) our  xml format is straight forward - we've used ".betwixt" files to control the name of some tags, and hide some properties , but other than that it's straight-forward (also out objects are simple, no cyclic references, no maps, etc).

What I liked about it:  easy to use, does not require any schema/dtd, xml format looks sensible (at least for our simple needs).
I also get the feeling you can add a decent amount of flexibility when combining it with digester/xpath.

Didn't like the fact it depends on a million other "commons" files (real problem when you're writing API for other programmers - if you rely on betwixt, then your user guide starts with "download the following 1000 jars from jakarta, and add them to your classpath: commons-collections, commons-beans, common-digester...  ).

Regards :)

Lutz Horn <lu...@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi,

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: HttpClient : using SSL connection pool (or session pool)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 14:45 -0700, sol myr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I intend to use the commons "HttpClient" for SSL communication .
> For performace, I'd like to have a socket pool (in more detail : the server to
> which I'm connecting is customized, its code is under my control.  Now when
> my client starts up it should open a pool of, say,  100 sockets, do SSL
> verification & key negotiation, and from now on all those connections
> will be "kept alive", and used as necessary ).
>
> Does HttpClient support this, and if so - could anyone please point me
> to a code example on the web, or at least mention the name of the
> classes involved ?

Yes, it does. HttpClient per default reuses connections that can be kept
alive. For more details refer to:

HttpClient multi-threading guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/threading.html

HttpClient optimization guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/performance.html#Connection
%20persistence

HttpClient SSL guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html#Known%
20limitations%20and%20problems

Hope this helps

Oleg

Posted by sol myr <so...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

---------------------------------

Re: So... Betwixt...

Posted by Lutz Horn <lu...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Am 25.08.2005 um 09:05 schrieb Jeremy Denton:
> Is anyone actually using Betwixt? I can't imagine that I'm the only
> one.. Strangely it's feature set is useful to my criteria.

I'm using Betwixt to save a simple List of objects as XML. The saved
XML is later read by a Python script. Betwixt is very useful for this
task doesn't require any BCE.

Lutz

Re: So... Betwixt...

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwxit/powered.html, although I
thought maven has dropped betwixt to use another way of handling the pom
and I know of at least one Asian company that is using it..

Mvgr,
Martin