Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Denis McCarthy <dm...@annadaletech.com> on 2007/01/31 13:16:26 UTC

Empty catch block in WebRequestServicerFilter implementer

Hi,
I've a filter that implements WebRequestServicerFilter. As per the
typical filter pattern, the filter's service method calls the
WebRequestServicer's service(WebRequest, WebResponse) method. However,
this method throws an IOException and I've noticed that on many calls to
this service method an IOException is indeed thrown (namely when the
filter is processing a request with a javascript (dojo) URI).

Because of this I've ended up with a try/catch around the service method
that simply ignores all IOExceptions. This sort of code can of course be
extremely evil. Is there some other way to distinguish between requests
that should be service()'d, or is having such an empty try/catch block
standard practice for web filters?
Thanks
Denis