Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/18 10:21:01 UTC

log4cxx - reaching out for interested developers

Hello log4cxx users/devs,

I wrote an E-Mail in february to consider log4cxx for the attic.

The attic means the code is accessible, but no Apache committer is
actively maintaining it or releasing code.

In february a couple of people shown their interest in the project. I
thought a while about it, considering to apply patches myself. But as
I have not much knowledge/interest in c++ it is really not the best
option.

Another option came to my mind. I have not clarified it with others so
far, so i am not sure if this would work out.

Anyway, at Apache we have the so-called Incubator. It is a place where
we build up communities, clarify legal things and so on. It is not so
easy to get new committers in an existing tlp, but it is more easy to
allow direct commit access to interested parties in the incubator.

The log4cxx project would not be an "official" apache project, until
it is coming out of the incubator. This will be the case if the
community around log4cxx has proven a level of interest and long-term
commitment, if the community has learned what is "around Apache" and
how to create proper releases.

If there are 3 people with an interest, I am willing to help with
incubation as mentor.

But please, if you are considering to help and step up: do it only if
you *really* have an interest and a *really* willing to donate some of
your time. If you are in doubt if OS work at Apache is for you,
consider to clone log4cxx at github and work there for a while.

I will give this e-mail a couple of days to develop; after this I will
either open a vote for the Attic or discuss the option of a new
incubation with a new development team.

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: log4cxx - reaching out for interested developers

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.
Hi all,

What I suggest here is, that we should come to a conclusion soon and
resume/re-start developments/fixes ASAP. Because that's the only way to
regain Log4CXX glory!!!

Last few weeks, I tried to fix some [atlease blocking]bugs, but I couldn't
finish since i don't have commit rights.Once you go through the bug
lists,you may find those enhancements requested are not such big issues.
But we have to make it happen.

Christian??? Any steps further, please....

regards,

*Chand Priyankara*  [image: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/chand.priyankara>
 [image: LinkedIn] <http://lk.linkedin.com/in/chandpriyankara> [image:
Blogger] <http://chandpriyankara.blogspot.com/> [image: Google
Plus]<http://plus.google.com/104246340732624023499>

<http://www.iucnredlist.org/amazing-species>sent via internet

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.

Posted by Roland Uuesoo <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Just wanted to note that there already are a couple of forks on github...

https://github.com/apache/log4cxx

Github is probably the easiest way to share the changes.

Posted by Pedro Lamarão <pe...@prodist.com.br>.
Em 06/05/2013 14:00, chand priyankara escreveu:

> Pretty good discussions, thanks to every body.
> Git seems a good track, and I'm in.
>
> Since *Christian* is here, I hope we can continue with:
> https://github.com/apache/log4cxx

I have somehow missed this.

We will see about rebasing our internal fork onto that.

Is there a process for patch reviewing and/or pull requests already in
place?

--
Pedro Lamarão Rosa e Silva
Prodist Technologies

Re: log4cxx - reaching out for interested developers

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.
Hi All,

Pretty good discussions, thanks to every body.
Git seems a good track, and I'm in.

Since *Christian* is here, I hope we can continue with:
https://github.com/apache/log4cxx

:)

regards,

*Chand Priyankara*  [image: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/chand.priyankara>
 [image: LinkedIn] <http://lk.linkedin.com/in/chandpriyankara> [image:
Blogger] <http://chandpriyankara.blogspot.com/> [image: Google
Plus]<http://plus.google.com/104246340732624023499>

|BSc(Eng) - Electrical & Information
|(094) 773-361-566
|chand@engineering.com
|http://chandpriyankara.blogspot.com
<http://www.iucnredlist.org/amazing-species>sent via internet

Posted by Pedro Lamarão <pe...@prodist.com.br>.

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.
> I will make a fork from trunk on GitHub today. Anyone wants in, we can
> deal with the patches, tarball releases and things like that.
>
> --> https://github.com/pedrolamarao/log4cxx

With regards to a Github-based fork, one important thing from the
discussion at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/logging-general/201305.mbox/browser
was that ICLAs should be in place before pull requests can be
accepted.  Otherwise, incorporating any changes into an Apache-blessed
tree at a later date becomes difficult.

- Rhys

Re: log4cxx - reaching out for interested developers

Posted by Pedro Lamarão <pe...@prodist.com.br>.
Em 05/05/2013 03:42, Christian Grobmeier escreveu:
> Hello Chand,
>
> i asked the other logging members over at general@.
> One suggestion was to enable a git mirror for log4cxx and make it easier
> for others to contribute.
> Ralph (from log4j 2 mainly) mentioned he could look at the patches,
> because he has the skills which i lack.
> On the other hand, I might be able to release.
>
> Then the community could contribute / fork via GitHub too, which
> lightens the burden.
>
> So far not confirmed, but this is another option.

We were planning on a fork for our own purposes; this seems a good
opportunity for us to participate.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Chand,

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

AW: log4cxx - reaching out for interested developers

Posted by "Wiebesiek, Torsten" <to...@grecon.de>.
Hi all,

> Any further suggestions in going forward other than Incubator or Attic?
> or else, can we get in to a conclusion, please.

sorry for the late response. Lately, I didn't check the log4cxx new very
frequently, but this might change quickly. :-)

We are using this great library in all our C++ projects and it would be
nice to see it being maintained again, and as my time allows, I am willing
to help with documentation, help on this list, and maybe even some patches.

Moving log4cxx to the Incubator sounds great. :-)

  Torsten

--
Phone  : +49 5181 / 79 - 461
Fax    : +49 5181 / 79 - 233

Geschäftsführer: Ernst Greten, Kai Greten, Uwe Kahmann
Komplementärin: Greten GmbH; HR Hildesheim B 110042
---

Re: log4cxx - reaching out for interested developers

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Chand,

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Thorsten Schöning
<ts...@am-soft.de> wrote:
>> Lets hope a few more people are interested, then we might have a chance to go to incubation.
>
> "Interest" shouldn't be a problem at all, I'm definitely, because I
> switched a lot of our projects to log4cxx within the last 2 or 3
> years. I even svnsync'ed all log4cxx code base for days after I read
> you considering moving the project to attic. ;-) But doing active
> development or releases is another thing, we are only a small company
> of 3 devs and therefore simply don't have the resources to invest a
> valuable amount of time into log4cxx development on a regular basis.

I hear you :-)

> Besides that, what I'm able and willing to do is to provide patches
> for bug fixes, any further development we do for our requirements and
> give some support on the mailing list if I'm able to help. From what I
> understand this should all be a lot easier if log4cxx moves (back?) to
> incubator.

Without incubation, one needs to "earn" committership. It would also
mean it is f.e. me who needs to apply all patches. I have not a good
clue, cannot not easily discuss the code and of course it is
frustrating for other devs to see their patches waiting for a long
time in the queue. In incubation, we can give out commit access a bit
easier (we do this a lot with other incoming projects).

If you are actually providing bugfix patches, it might be enough
already for committership. Basically there are many people who "keep
an eye on the project", discuss, commit a few things but keep their
level of activity pretty low. This works too, as long as the person
"sticks" with the project. Basically with what you describe you would
probably make up a good committer, even when you "just commit" a
couple of hours to log4cxx.

That said, with your honest estimation we should still look for a few
other people. It is always easier to keep a project running with a
couple of people.

Cheers
Christian

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Christian Grobmeier,
am Donnerstag, 18. April 2013 um 11:35 schrieben Sie:

> Lets hope a few more people are interested, then we might have a chance to go to incubation.

"Interest" shouldn't be a problem at all, I'm definitely, because I
switched a lot of our projects to log4cxx within the last 2 or 3
years. I even svnsync'ed all log4cxx code base for days after I read
you considering moving the project to attic. ;-) But doing active
development or releases is another thing, we are only a small company
of 3 devs and therefore simply don't have the resources to invest a
valuable amount of time into log4cxx development on a regular basis.

Besides that, what I'm able and willing to do is to provide patches
for bug fixes, any further development we do for our requirements and
give some support on the mailing list if I'm able to help. From what I
understand this should all be a lot easier if log4cxx moves (back?) to
incubator.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: log4cxx - reaching out for interested developers

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.
Hello,

That's great Christian , and I'm OK with it.

*“Something must be done. This is something. Therefore we must do it!”*
*
*
Hopefully, waiting for more support from the community.* *
*
*
*
*

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.
Hello,

Fwd: log4cxx - reaching out for interested developers

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
[- log4j-user, +log4cxx-user]

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
[- log4j-user, +log4cxx-user]

Posted by chand priyankara <ch...@engineering.com>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello folks,

just a small heads up, I sent this to log4cxx.

Not sure if we can move the project back to the incubator if a couple
of people are interested, but I am willing to find that out in case we
manage to attract a few guys. Otherwise we should vote on the attic
actually.

Of course, comments are welcome.

Cheers
Christian