Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Doug <um...@myrealbox.com> on 2003/10/08 23:06:04 UTC

Plugin destroy() method not being called?

We've written a couple of custom PlugIns to enable us to execute some
startup and shutdown logic for our application.  However, under
WebSphere 3.5, the destroy() method is never being called.  Neither when
I stop the Application Server (JVM) nor when I restart the Web Application.

Any ideas?  Restarting the Web Application does cause the init() method
to be called, so we're re-allocating resources when we've never cleaned
up the existing ones.

Doug

Re: Plugin destroy() method not being called?

Posted by Doug <um...@myrealbox.com>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Doug wrote:
>
>> We've written a couple of custom PlugIns to enable us to execute some
>> startup and shutdown logic for our application.  However, under
>> WebSphere 3.5, the destroy() method is never being called.  Neither
>> when I stop the Application Server (JVM) nor when I restart the Web
>> Application.
>>
>> Any ideas?  Restarting the Web Application does cause the init()
>> method to be called, so we're re-allocating resources when we've never
>> cleaned up the existing ones.
>

> The destroy() method of plugins is called when the destroy() method of
> ActionServlet is called.  Do the container logs indicate that this was
> done?  If not, it sounds like the container might not be obeying the
> servlet spec requirement to call destroy() when taking an app out of
> service.
>
> Craig

Thanks for the quick reply.  I do see now that destroy() is being called
at times - just not nearly as frequently as init() is being called.  So
I bet you're right about the container.  We're shortly going to be
upgrading to a newer version of WebSphere, so I might be able to live
with the problem until then.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Doug wrote:

> We've written a couple of custom PlugIns to enable us to execute some
> startup and shutdown logic for our application.  However, under
> WebSphere 3.5, the destroy() method is never being called.  Neither
> when I stop the Application Server (JVM) nor when I restart the Web
> Application.
>
> Any ideas?  Restarting the Web Application does cause the init()
> method to be called, so we're re-allocating resources when we've never
> cleaned up the existing ones.

The destroy() method of plugins is called when the destroy() method of
ActionServlet is called.  Do the container logs indicate that this was
done?  If not, it sounds like the container might not be obeying the
servlet spec requirement to call destroy() when taking an app out of
service.

> Doug

Craig