Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr> on 2001/09/27 12:31:02 UTC

small installation glitches with rc1

Hello folks.
I just had two small problems installing cocoon2 rc1, that i resolved easily,
but could be worth a note in README. Sorry if this has already been reported.
1) cocoon needs specifically xerces-j, whereas tomcat is happy with any jaxp
parser
2) i had this exception for unauthorized X access :
java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as
the value of the DISPLAY variable
at batik initialisation, resulting in unavailable SiteMapHandler.
While xhost+ localhost fixed the problem, i was wondering if that meant
cocoon couldn't be run on a Xless server ?
--
Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html

Re: small installation glitches with rc1

Posted by Michael Hartle <mh...@hartle-klug.com>.
Per-Olof Norén wrote:

>>This is known problem/glitch with the jdk on solaris and linux.
>>In this case it is batik libraries that uses some functions of the
>>jdk that in turn uses x.
>>This, according to friends of mine, can be simulated on x-less servers
>>using virtual frame buffer that is found on Redhat at least.

The tool Xvfb can be found on other distributions like SuSE, too; there
it is contained in an RPM called xextra*. When you have installed Xvfb,
try starting it up via something like

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :0.0 -fp
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc -fn
lucidasans-8

where you have modified the parameters and paths to your liking. Don't
forget to set up DISPLAY accordingly depending where you want your X
apps to connect to. According to several comments I have read, JDK 1.4
can work headless, so does not require the virtual frame buffer under
Linux anymore, but as far as I have tested it, Batik does not produce
any visual result under JDK1.4. I am still checking out that one. When
you are working more closely with Batik, check out the
JPEGEncoderImpl-bug of Sun so you do not run into that one; I sent a
test and patch to this list some days ago.

Best regards,

Michael

Re: small installation glitches with rc1

Posted by Per-Olof Norén <pe...@alma.nu>.
> Hello folks.
> 2) i had this exception for unauthorized X access :
> java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0'
as
> the value of the DISPLAY variable
> at batik initialisation, resulting in unavailable SiteMapHandler.
> While xhost+ localhost fixed the problem, i was wondering if that meant
> cocoon couldn't be run on a Xless server ?

This is known problem/glitch with the jdk on solaris and linux.
In this case it is batik libraries that uses some functions of the
jdk that in turn uses x.
This, according to friends of mine, can be simulated on x-less servers
using virtual frame buffer that is found on Redhat at least.
Never tried it though. If someone tries the frame buffer solution I
would appriciate a pointer in the right direction in the installation guide.
Another workaround is to remove all referenses to the svg components
in the sitemap. This is of course only feasible when not using svg at all
in the application ;(

/Per-Olof Norén