Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Adel Boutros <Ad...@live.com> on 2017/04/25 06:43:20 UTC

Public CI

Hello,

We are currently compiling internally Qpid components using Jenkins on Windows, Linux and Solaris. In order to ease the process, I was experimenting with public CIs and have noticed you are using Travis (For Linux) and Appveyor (For Windows).

So I was wondering if you could share your experience regarding the public CI:

   - How do you debug/fix a failing build?

   - Do you just check the logs outputed or do you access the machines themselves?

   - Any drawbacks to this approach?

   - Any other info to share?

I was also wondering if you could provide me some tips on how I can do it for the other OSes such as Solaris. We have internal VMs but would like to protect them from security breaches and abuses. Should we use them or rely on cloud infrastructure for example?

Regards,

Adel

Re: Public CI

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 25 April 2017 at 07:43, Adel Boutros <Ad...@live.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We are currently compiling internally Qpid components using Jenkins on Windows, Linux and Solaris. In order to ease the process, I was experimenting with public CIs and have noticed you are using Travis (For Linux) and Appveyor (For Windows).
>

> So I was wondering if you could share your experience regarding the public CI:
>
>    - How do you debug/fix a failing build?
>
>    - Do you just check the logs outputed or do you access the machines themselves?
>
>    - Any drawbacks to this approach?
>
>    - Any other info to share?
>

> I was also wondering if you could provide me some tips on how I can do it for the other OSes such as Solaris. We have internal VMs but would like to protect them from security breaches and abuses. Should we use them or rely on cloud infrastructure for example?
>

> Regards,
>
> Adel

For the most part debugging CI build failures is done from looking at
their log output and/or reproducing locally. There is some scope for
more access though, e.g for Appveyor you can set it up to allow remote
RDP connections and then do stuff on the node while the build is
running, though I've never actually done it. For Travis, I have seen
mentions of being able to rebuild jobs in 'debug mode' that lets you
SSH in, but that may only be for private projects though, not much
info out there. We also don't have as much access to configure the
jobs on the Apache repo mirror as might normally be the case since the
GitHub org they are part of is fairly locked down (and most folks
aren't even in the org anyway). We can however fork the repos and
enable Appveyor / Travis / etc directly on forks and do additional
things that way if needed.

We also use the ASF's own Jenkins CI build servers,
https://builds.apache.org/. Its being consolidated just now to mainly
Ubuntu instances with a few Windows instances to make things more
maintainable, as although there used to be the odd OS X / FreeBSD /
Solaris node offered by the core infra team they were simply never
reliably available for use and were either old or not cost effective
to maintain and so were chosen to be removed. That said, there is
still the odd more exotic node in there, in some cases maintained by
third parties for one or more projects use and then registered with
the master node.

I dont know of any public offerings around Solaris, though I don't
know much of it generally so I wouldnt expect to either.

Robbie