Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/21 23:31:06 UTC

JPA 2.1 Development Kickoff

Hi,
There have been several discussions on the OpenJPA forums [1, 2, ...] about
the support for JPA 2.1...  Instead of just talking about it, let's see if
we can get this development effort kick-started.  As you'll see, this will
be a major effort and we'll need help from more than just the core OpenJPA
team.  We'll need help for development, test, documentation, evangelism,
etc.

To get started, I created some JPA 2.1 pages on the OpenJPA wiki.  Some of
the pages still need some work, but I wanted to get something out before
JavaOne in order to generate some interest...

JPA 2.1 Tasks:  http://openjpa.apache.org/jpa-2.1-tasks.html
Main Roadmap:  http://openjpa.apache.org/jpa-2.1-roadmap.html

You'll notice there are a few preliminary items that will need to be done
before JPA 2.1 development can be performed in trunk.  One of the main
items is to create an OpenJPA 2.3.0 release (along with the associated
service stream).  I've heard from Mark that he might be interested in this
activity.  Once that is done, then we can start some of the other
preliminary development activities in trunk (java 7, jpa 2.1 interfaces,
tck setup, etc).

The rest of the tasks identified were compiled with some help from Pinaki.
Pinaki had started to experiment with JPA 2.1 in a sandbox.  Another
investigative piece of work is to evaluate that sandbox and pull in the
appropriate pieces to trunk.

If you are looking for general information on the JPA 2.1 features, here
are a couple of references.

JPA 2.1 Specification:  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=338
JPA 2.1 Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhgzNT7p7wA

That's enough for this first note.  Take a look at the material.  Offer
suggestions, improvements, and ideas.  Most of all, offer up some time and
effort to help upgrade OpenJPA to the next JPA 2.1 specification level.

Thanks,
Kevin

[1]
http://openjpa.208410.n2.nabble.com/DISCUSSION-JPA-2-1-spec-implementation-tp7581978.html