Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/08 12:20:53 UTC

Moving from Multiple webapps to Multi Cores -Solr 1.3

Hello All,

On Protyping from moving from solr Multiple Webapps to Solr Multi Cores
[1.3 Version both]..I am running into the following issues and Questions

1) We are primarily moving to Multicore because ,we saw the Permgen memory
being increased ,each time we created a new solr webapp ,so the assumption
is that  by moving to Multicore  and sharing the same war file ,we will not
increase the permgen memory ,when we create a new core  ,but I do see about
190kb increase when a new core is created as opposed to about 13mb per new
webapp , does the permgen memory get consumed /increased per core creation
with some benefit over webapp creation?

2) We have schemas for multiple languages ,and I wanted to create  webapp
per language and create cores  for each client with same kang requirement
,with shared schema ,Would that affect if we want to add some dynamic
fields to some cores [ofcourse the indexes are separate] ? Does this
approach make sense or we can just create  n number of cores in a single
webapp with different schemas ?

3) In terms of query time ,when i query a webapp to a  particular core
,should I expect the Qtime come down or remain same?

4) on Using the create command as
multi_core_prototype/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=coreX&instanceDir=/searchinstances/multi_core_prototype/solr/coreX&config=/searchinstances/multi_core_prototype/solr/coreX&schema=/searchinstances/multi_core_prototype/solr/core0/conf/schema.xml&dataDir/searchinstances/multi_core_prototype/solr/coreX/data

My Directory structure is

tomcat5.5
Searchinstances
    ...multi_core_prototype
       ...solr.war
        ..solr
               .. solr.xml
               .. core0
                   ...data
                    ..conf
               ..core1
                    ..conf
                    ..data

On the above command instance dir ,coreX  is created  under solr  and  data
directory under  coreX ,however I dont see a conf directory with schema and
Solrconfig under  CoreX,I am assuming with the above command it copies it
from the existing core0 conf folder

Let me know if I am missing anything here.

Thanks,
 Sujatha