Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2015/02/19 16:10:13 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA SDK 2.7.0 rc7

Hi again,

Here's the next release candidate for the UIMAJ SDK, rc7.

RC7 fixes the bug in snapshot iterators over empty snapshots, plus one other
obscure case issue (UIMA 4250).

Verses 2.6.0, this version has lots of changes. These are summarized in the
README and RELEASE_NOTES. The list of changes in Jira:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.7.0SDK%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC

The source and binary zip/tars and the Eclipse update site are staged to
http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/uimaj-2.7.0-rc7

The Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1048

The SVN tags are here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.7.0/

and for the Eclipse Update Site:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-eclipse-update-site-2.7.0/

See http://uima.apache.org/testing-builds.html for suggestions on how to test
release candidates.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE][CANCEL] Release UIMA SDK 2.7.0 rc7

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Sorry, replied to the wrong mail...

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I thought about this, and feel it's better to just keep this as 2.7.0.

I do agree that the release votes can't by themselves, do great QA - that has to
come from
our processes and JUnit tests, and early adopter testing, where possible.

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA SDK 2.7.0 rc7

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
signatures OK

compare source-release.zip with svn tag - OK

Eclipse install to kepler and luna - OK - tested via opening CDE.  Some slowness
(probably in "contacting all sites" for required dependencies - internet seemed
slow today).

Issues Fixed: OK

adjust example paths - OK, ran document analyzer - OK

Build from Source - OK

spot check of license, notice, readmes and release notes, API Javadocs, PDFs  -OK

spot check of staging maven repo - OK

[X] +1 OK to release

-Marshall Schor

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
* Checked signatures - OK

* Checked LICENSE and NOTICE - ?  Should the LICENSE file have a copy of
the Jackson license - or say that it is licensed under Apache ?

* Installed the binary distn. and ran an experiment with ~60 UIMA
deployments.  Using -Duima.report_fs_update_corrupts_index exposed some
problems that were fixed by recoding and using  snapshot iIterators. - OK

* Built from source; checked signatures; extracted binary; ran large
experiment - OK

* Checked README - build instructions have incomplete name for the build
dir ... could say:
          *Then do the build by going into the unzipped uimaj-2.7.0
directory,*

* Checked RELEASE_NOTES - Minor points:
    - Typo in snapshot iterator section:  "light-weigh copy"
    - There's a link to the docs on the new protectIndexes() method, but
would be nice do also have one in the next section on the new
withSnapshotOterators() method.
    - The "Other Changes" section lists Jiras for only some of the changes.
    - Since the multipleReferencesAllowed check is a new warning message,
it would help to describe what to look for by perhaps adding:
    e.g. Feature org.someFS:SomeFeature is marked
multipleReferencesAllowed=false, but it has multiple references.  These
will be serialized in duplicate.

* Checked docs - OK

[X] +1 OK to release

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
wrote:

> Interestingly, I can access it from my pc at work, but not from my pc at
> home (where I tried to review the rc). No idea yet why...
>
> Best,
>
> Peter
>

> Am 23.02.2015 um 17:56 schrieb Marshall Schor:
>
>  This error message appears to be caused by some glitch
>>
>> It occurs during an "integration test" for the jcasgen-maven-plugin.  The
>> integration tests run the maven invoker plugin which sets up an isolated
>> ".m2"
>> local repository for maven, initially empty, which then downloads
>> everything
>> needed (other than plugins being tested).
>>
>> The simple pom in the test case is specifying parent-pom version 4, which
>> is
>> attempted to be downloaded from
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/uima/parent-pom/4/
>> parent-pom-4.pom
>>
>> If I go to that url, I can see the pom, just fine (this morning, from the
>> USA).
>>
>> Can you check that url from your location, and see if it works (might be
>> resolving to a different maven central server)?  If it does, please just
>> try again.
>>
>> -Marshall
>>

>> On 2/21/2015 1:18 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have some problems building the svn-tag. Could be my build machine,
>>> but I do
>>> not know yet what causes it.
>>>
>>> jcasgen-maven-plugin fails. jcasgen-maven-plugin\target\it\simple\build.log
>>> says:
>>>
>>> [INFO] Scanning for projects...
>>> Downloading:
>>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/uima/parent-pom/4/
>>> parent-pom-4.pom
>>> [ERROR] The build could not read 1 project -> [Help 1]
>>> [ERROR]
>>> [ERROR]   The project test:simple:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
>>> (D:\review\svn\jcasgen-maven-plugin\target\it\simple\pom.xml) has 1
>>> error
>>> [ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not transfer artifact
>>> org.apache.uima:parent-pom:pom:4 from/to central
>>> (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2): GET request of:
>>> org/apache/uima/parent-pom/4/parent-pom-4.pom from central failed and
>>> 'parent.relativePath' points at no local POM @ line 23, column 11:
>>> Connection
>>> reset -> [Help 2]
>>> [ERROR]
>>> [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the
>>> -e
>>> switch.
>>> [ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
>>> [ERROR]
>>> [ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions,
>>> please
>>> read the following articles:
>>> [ERROR] [Help 1]
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/