Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Lance Bader <ld...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/27 02:43:24 UTC

xDoc i18n base language HTML placed in wrong directory

I'm willing to believe I'm wrong, but if the base langague is xx, shouldn't
the generated HTML be placed in ${maven.docs.dest}/xx?

Consider this scenario.

- Assume that there are number of files that are copied, not generated from
XML source, including images, style sheets, Javadoc, and code templates.

- The base language source files contain relative URLs to these files.

- The team who translates the base language source files are only changing
the text between the tags.  They are not changing relative URLs.  Even if
they understand URLs, they don't know which relative URLs must be modified.

- For each supported language yy, the generated HTML is placed in ${
maven.docs.dest}/yy.  If the base language xx is placed in ${maven.docs.dest}
instead of ${maven.docs.dest}/xx, all of the relative URLs that reference
files that are not generated by the xDoc plugin must be different for the
base language and the other languages.

Of course, for me, it is much more pleasing to see all the supported
languages, including the base language, appear in parallel directory trees
where the name of the root is the ISO language code.  However, if my sense
of aesthetics and symmetry is blinding me a better solution, I will just
have to ignore my senses.

Lance

Re: xDoc i18n base language HTML placed in wrong directory

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Lance Bader wrote:
> No, I double checked my prototype web site.  If a directory does not contain
> any xdoc source files (like images or styles in my structure), it is copied
> to the base directory but not the language directories.  Maybe this is a
> defect?

This should be fixed in the current 1.10-SNAPSHOT of the xdoc plugin:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPXDOC-177

-Lukas

Re: xDoc i18n base language HTML placed in wrong directory

Posted by David Sag <ds...@epo.org>.
Lance Bader wisely said:
"Automatic redirection based on browser locale is a good idea for a
consumer
site but our multi-lingual users are aggravated if they have to change the
browser's locale in order to view a particular language.  A multi-lingual
front page allowing quick choices to a particular version is much
preferred."

as an expat aussie living in europe i couldn't agree more.  try buying
anything from the apple store in the netherlands as an english speaker -
it's insanity. i am happy for sites to pick up the country from the
browser (or ip number) but they should always allow the user to select
their preferred language.

that's my 2cents (ie my euro 0.01421512) worth

Kind regards,
Dave Sag

Posted by Lance Bader <ld...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.