Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2006/06/30 00:02:35 UTC

M2 Issues and Actions - svn:externals workaround

Hi,

It's been said (http://www.nabble.com/M2-Issues-and-Actions-tf1867589.html)
that svn:externals would help us working around the following issue:

3. openejb - The openejb build should use geronimo jars that come from
o.a.g groupId. Hence it is necessary to build openejb. Until now v_2.1
was used, now we are switching to 2.2. We should publish snapshots of
these jars too. This will obviate the need for building openejb.

I'm going to introduce a necessary change in 24 hours unless someone
objects. The change is as follows:

$ svn propget svn:externals geronimo
openejb http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/openejb2

Note http rather than https.

The clock is ticking...See you in 24 hours.

Here's the document about svn:externals property -
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html.

I'll create a JIRA issue for it once it's pass.

Each and every day gives me something new and today wasn't different ;-)

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: M2 Issues and Actions - svn:externals workaround

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

If we do http;

svn ci from within the openejb tree (i.e geronimo/openejb) won't work

if we do https;

an openejb committer can edit the code in the openejb tree (within
the geronimo tree) and do an svn ci and it would commit.

in any event 'svn ci' from the root of the geronimo tree would ignore
openejb.

HTH,

Bill Dudney
MyFaces - http://myfaces.apache.org
Cayenne - http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cayenne.html

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Oh, sorry... What version of openejb did you just deploy to the
codehaus dist repo?

--jason

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Re: openejb publishing restored (was Re: M2 Issues and Actions - svn:externals workaround)

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> You aren't paying attention to what I said.  Only openejb uses g
> bits in it, the others can all be built with no g parts present.
> So, if I change something in g, I know I didn't break anything
> except maybe openejb.  So, I want to be able to check really easily
> by having one build that includes everything that depends on g
> stuff and gets into our assembled server.

Oh... my bad... minor dyslexia always causes me problems.

It is possible to make a build like that.  And as I have said before
I can help you make that a reality... after we have finished with the
main m2 build.

Which I think is only really pending the xmlbeans and assembly fixes
until it is useable... so hopefully we will have m2 functional soon!

--jason

Re: openejb publishing restored (was Re: M2 Issues and Actions - svn:externals workaround)

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 30, 2006, at 3:27 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

>> It's very good, but it doesn't help with my desire to be able to
>> build g + all the stuff that depends on g that goes into g in one
>> step.  since this isn't possible right now entirely in m2 anyway
>> due to the plugin issues I think I'll have to be satisfied with a
>> script that runs m2 in several places.
>
> Thats gotta be one crazy script... commons-lang, log4j, openejb,
> tranql, specs, commons-cli, commons-lang, commons-collections,
> howl, derby, <way to many more to list>.

You aren't paying attention to what I said.  Only openejb uses g bits
in it, the others can all be built with no g parts present.  So, if I
change something in g, I know I didn't break anything except maybe
openejb.  So, I want to be able to check really easily by having one
build that includes everything that depends on g stuff and gets into
our assembled server.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
We should remove the openejb/modules from the G root pom.xml.

Once some of the other issues are sorted I can put together an all-in-
one-special-build for those folks that want to build openejb+tranql+G
all at once.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I think it supposed to... since this will give your writable access
to that share.

--jason

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> I was very uncomfortable w/ the proposed change.

Curious, how so?

  * * *

Maybe later today we will have jars published... assuming that we
have wrangled the webdav config on the continuum box.

--jason

Re: M2 Issues and Actions - svn:externals workaround

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
This is good news.  I was very uncomfortable w/ the proposed change.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 6/30/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't understand your reasoning.  maven m:co checks out using https
> and IIUC works for both committers and non-committers, and as a
> committer I can use that checkout as my working openejb copy.  What
> is the advantage of preventing me from doing that?  What harm would
> using https do to non-committers?

None, but I thought that svn:externals would mark the checked-out
sources of OpenEJB as not-committable, i.e. no local modification
could be committed. As Bill has explained, it's not true when you're
in the openejb directory that wouldn't be any different than they're
now. The only difference is that you wouldn't be able to commit your
changes from the parent directory of the openejb dir (which is
possible now). All in all, I was mistaken in my reasoning and am very
grateful for your patience :-)

On the other hand, Jason and Dave are working on publishing the
updated jars to codehaus.org and it seems that it will likely turn out
we won't have to introduce the change.

> david jencks

Jacek

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 6/30/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Note http rather than https.
>
> I hope someone who actually knows will speak up, but I thought https
> worked fine for non-committers whereas http did not work for
> committers.  If true I would suggest https rather than http.

AFAIUI, you won't be able to work with the openejb checkout as if it
was a regular checkout. It's only for non-committers' convenience to
let them build Geronimo using M2. OpenEJB committers will have to
remove their own copy of OpenEJB from within Geronimo and work with it
outside Geronimo local source directory. Thus, I chose http which is
faster.

> david jencks

Jacek

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.