Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/19 20:49:30 UTC

[Vote] release for myfaces 1.2.1

Hi,

I was running the needed tasks to get the 1.2.1 release of Apache
MyFaces core out.

Please note that this vote concerns all of the following parts:
 1. Maven artifact group "org.apache.myfaces.shared" v3.0.1  [1]
 2. Maven artifact group "org.apache.myfaces.core" v1.2.1  [1]

The artifacts are deployed to my private Apache account ([1]).

Please take a look at the "1.2.0" artifacts and vote!

Please note: This vote is "majority approval" with a minimum of three
+1 votes (see [3]).

[ ] +1 for community members who have reviewed the bits
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 for fatal flaws that should cause these bits not to be released,
    and why..............

Leonardo Uribe

[1] http://people.apache.org/~lu4242/myfaces121
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes

Re: [Vote] release for myfaces 1.2.1

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> I understand that involve trinidad build in this vote tends to be confusing.
> But the question to be solved is what to best? rollback? separate the
> vote? let it as is?.

just send out a different mail on the Trinidad Plugins
release, and you'll get my +1

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: [Vote] release for myfaces 1.2.1

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

The problem is that if we want to solve MYFACES-1790 for this release,
we need to
release trinidad build as well. I also prepare the release of trinidad
build on my private account here:

http://people.apache.org/~lu4242/trinidad-build126

and I wrote the steps done on

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/CoreRelease121

Based on this, I prepare the release again. So no snapshots dependencies left.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,

this is confusing and not everybody notices a vote for the trinidad plugins,
that is nested in a myfaces-core release vote :-)

As I said on a different thread (the one that talks about the plugins
release), I'll get
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRINIDAD-878
done as well. Fix is trivial, but I need some more testing....

-Matthias

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
hi,

don't get me wrong; but fixing 1790 means the build
depends on a SNAPSHOT.

I can provide the RC for the 1.2.6 plugins today (for a vote)
That would fix the SNAPSHOT dependency.

Again, thanks for doing this!!!

-Matthias

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Is this still a vote now?

Can we start a separate thread?

regards,

Martin

On 12/20/07, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> the plugin includes the notice/license
> if not present, it generates them
>
> -M

> > > I like having them in the root folder, like done in Trinidad
> > > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/trinidad/trunk_1.2.x/
> > >
> > > but, the auto-generation plugins is fine for including them in
> > > every JAR. Trinidad uses that plugin as well.
> >
> > ??
> >
> > Do you mean there is a license and notice checked in, but the built jar
> > ignores these and uses something different instead? That sounds like the
> > worst of both worlds to me. It would:
> > (a) double the work, as *both* need to be checked for correctness, and
> > (b) is really confusing for users if they differ.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Simon
> >

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf
>
> further stuff:
> mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: [Vote] release for myfaces 1.2.1

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 20:55 -0500, Leonardo Uribe wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have done the release procedure again including
>
>   <groupId>org.apache.myfaces.trinidadbuild</groupId>
>   <artifactId>maven-plugin-parent</artifactId>
>
> For resolve MYFACES-1790 and moved LICENSE and NOTICE to META-INF
> folder for both myfaces api and impl.

The convention used in apache commons is that each module has a
LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt file in its root directory, ie next to the
pom.xml file and then they are output into the jar using a resource
definition in the pom:

      <resource>
        <directory>.</directory>
        <targetPath>META-INF</targetPath>
        <includes>
          <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
          <include>LICENSE.txt</include>
        </includes>
      </resource>

This means that people who check out the code (or browse the repository
online) see the LICENSE and NOTICE in the obvious place (first dir that
anyone sees), but the jar has it in *its* obvious place (with the rest
of the jar meta-data). Having the NOTICE in the module root dir also
means developers are more likely to keep it up-to-date if adding code
with special license conditions.

I would highly recommend using this approach for myfaces too. But it's
not a release-blocker IMO, as the license/notice *are* in svn and in the
jar.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Dec 19, 2007 11:39 PM, Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, i will put NOTICE and LICENSE on META-INF.

cool! check the suggested maven-plugin;
late here in my timezone, I can help on that front
tomorrow.

> About MYFACES-1790, yes I noted this change on trunk:
>
>         <plugin>
>           <groupId>org.apache.myfaces.trinidadbuild</groupId>
>           <artifactId>maven-faces-plugin</artifactId>
>           <version>1.2.6-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         </plugin>
>
> for include this on this release we have to release this project too

correct, but I am not sure if that is a blocker :-)
1.2.5 worked in the past, this bug was logged today;
I am cool with a 1.2.2 very soon ;-)

thanks for the work, so far!!

-M
,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Dec 19, 2007 11:31 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> As I said; no vetos.
> but we (Trinidad) got -1 and we were suggested to place them into
> META-INF

during incubation; I learned a lot there. Even I was already
around Apache years before

-M

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
As I said; no vetos.

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
-1

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Dec 19, 2007 11:16 PM, Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually the guidelines for Release Voting [1] make no stipulation on the
> detail of inspection. I performed a cursory inspection and compared the
> contents and layout to previous release stagings. I am using this current
> version in three projects without issue, so at a functional level I believe
> this release to be ready.
>
> I admittedly have not double checked the checksums or MANIFEST files, but
> from a license perspective we cleared up all those issues quite a while ago.
>
> My vote stands.

... and it is up to the release mgr to accept a -1 or not.
There are no vetos;

Since I care on the right location of license/notice files, I voted -1
(that means like I am not supporting the release as it is today)

not sure what went wrong in this release,
since the 1.2.0 and the 1.1.x license/notice files were OK

-M

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

--
Grant Smith