Posted to dev@doris.apache.org by Xinyi Zou <zo...@foxmail.com> on 2020/10/29 08:26:38 UTC

[Proposal] Whether to consider prohibit partition column to be defined to "allow null" when create table

The null value to be a partition value is very confusing.

Currently, partition column can be defined as "allow null" when create table. the null value is stored in the partition with MIN_VALUE lower bound. But if that partition is dropped, the null value can not be loaded. So I think it is not a good way to solve the problem.

Is it necessary to allow null value to be a partition value?&nbsp; If the null partition column is not supported,how to deal with the current existing table containing null values?

We have discussed it in the&nbsp;https://github.com/apache/incubator-doris/pull/4735&nbsp;before this

Xinyi Zou

Re:Re: [Proposal] Whether to consider prohibit partition column to be defined to "allow null" when create table

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
In most case, the null value of a partition column is meaning less and hard to understand.
So I agree to prohibit partition column to be defined to "allow null" when create table

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email: