Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org> on 2021/01/28 23:58:41 UTC

Travis job on github

Hi,

The Apache YuniKorn (Incubating) team leverages Travis to run pre-commit
checks, but recently the Travis Job stays in the queue for long hours (6+
hours, sometimes more than 10 hours) . This is highly impacting the
productivity. I have reached the Travis support and the response I got was
the jobs got rate limited under Apache repo. Is there any suggestion how to
fix this issue?

Thanks
Weiwei

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com>.
The delays at Travis were primarily due to a few things:
-  Limited capacity and high demand
-  Abuse of the free service by cryptocurrency miners

The problem of the crypto miners has been pretty much resolved, but 1 would still be an issue on Travis if there hadn't been a mass exit to GHA last year.

As GHA runs on the Azure cloud, where there's hundreds of thousands of servers available and typically a lot of idle capacity, I doubt we'll see anything like the delays at Travis.

If capacity does become an issue there are many simple steps Microsoft/Github could take first to reduce the load, such as:
 - limiting concurrent jobs for free accounts
 - allowing auto-terminating a set of jobs when it's triggered again in a short time frame
 - allowing re-run of only a single failed job instead of an entire matrix

All of these were features/requirements at Travis because they were capacity limited. The fact that such features don't (yet) exist indicates there is not a capacity concern (yet).  Seems they're focusing more on building out the service and gaining more customers and open source contributions to the available actions.

On 2/3/21, 6:07 PM, "Weiwei Yang" <ww...@apache.org> wrote:

    Hi Greg

    Agreed. No assumption has been made.
    I was just hoping that GitHub can hold it up. Just in case the delays come
    back again, the Apache community can look for a solution together.
    Asking for help from Microsoft is just one possible option.

    Weiwei

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org>.
Hi Greg

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org>.
At the beginning, the latency of running Travis jobs was not so bad. I have
the same concern when more and more projects move to GHA free plans, delays
may occur.
As a community, I suggest to monitor the state of our jobs, if things
really go badly, we can communicate with Microsoft about giving the Apache

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Leerho,

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org>.
Just a quick update.
The YuniKorn team has done the migration from Travis to the github action,
so far it looks great.
The pipeline now only needs ~20 minutes comparing to the past 6~12hours. We
also use codecov and it also works great with github action.
We are pretty happy with this migration, hope github can keep this up.

Thanks!
Weiwei

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Yuanbo Liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Xiangdong,

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi leerho,

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
It's probably simpler to write some sort of LCOV format converter to
something supported by your destination build system than it would be
to rewrite the rest of your toolchain, but that's just conjecture.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >     > > >
> >     > > >
> >     > > >
> >     > > > Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org> 于2021年1月29日周五 上午7:58写道:
> >     > > >
> >     > > > Hi,
> >     > > >
> >     > > > The Apache YuniKorn (Incubating) team leverages Travis to run
> >     > pre-commit
> >     > > > checks, but recently the Travis Job stays in the queue for long
> > hours
> >     > (6+
> >     > > > hours, sometimes more than 10 hours) . This is highly impacting
> > the
> >     > > > productivity. I have reached the Travis support and the
> response
> > I got
> >     > was
> >     > > > the jobs got rate limited under Apache repo. Is there any

From my cell phone.

Re: Travis job on github

Posted by Weiwei Yang <ww...@apache.org>.

Re: Travis job on github