Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> on 2006/09/30 09:05:46 UTC

Release planning

In my personal opinion, it is time that we should start planning a new
release. My personal opinion is that we should get out a 3.2.1 release
candidate out soon (after fixing some bugs and adding some enhancements in
jira, e.g. TORQUE-56 and TORQUE-54), and then start progress towards a 4.0
release whith major changes (chucking out the village library etc.)

Any thoughts ?

Thomas V, are you going to be release manager in 3.2.1 ? Of course I'll be
there to help.

This is just a call for opinions. We should have a formal vote once we
have all in svn which we want to be in the release.

    Thomas

RE: Release planning

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Greg Monroe wrote:

> I was browsing the issues in Jira and noticed that quite a few major one
> are actually Village related.  Seems like a "psuedo-component" for Village
> might make identifying these much easier.  (so they can be block resolved
> with 4.0...lol).

This is a good idea. I'll do that.

> I've been meaning to get back to Torque-50 (Add-on support) and look at
> what Thomas suggested (and may have already implimented).  Of course, I'll
> sign up for any work needed for Torque-54 - 8)

TORQUE-50 is committed except for the docs explaining how to submit
add-ons back to Torque. Can you check whether this works as you
intended ?
I'll try to get TORQUE-54 in and then use this experience to modify the
text about how to submit add-ons.

> If there's time, I might take a wack at Torque-27 (DB specific options)
> by adding support for a <OPTION key=.. value=> XML element that was
> talked about in an dev e-mail thread a while back.  This would require
> a change to the DTD to add it, any problems with that?

In my opinion no problem if the DTD remains backwards-compatible.

> Let me know if I can help on any other issues, docs, etc.

When we are ready to put out the RC, it would be nice if a few people
would glance through the docs to see whether the information provided is
still up-to-date.

     Thomas

RE: Release planning

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
> In my personal opinion, it is time that we should start planning a new
> release. My personal opinion is that we should get out a 3.2.1 release
> candidate out soon (after fixing some bugs and adding some enhancements in
> jira, e.g. TORQUE-56 and TORQUE-54), and then start progress towards a 4.0
> release whith major changes (chucking out the village library etc.)
+1

> Any thoughts ?

I was browsing the issues in Jira and noticed that quite a few major one
are actually Village related.  Seems like a "psuedo-component" for Village
might make identifying these much easier.  (so they can be block resolved
with 4.0...lol).

I've been meaning to get back to Torque-50 (Add-on support) and look at
what Thomas suggested (and may have already implimented).  Of course, I'll
sign up for any work needed for Torque-54 - 8)

If there's time, I might take a wack at Torque-27 (DB specific options)
by adding support for a <OPTION key=.. value=> XML element that was
talked about in an dev e-mail thread a while back.  This would require
a change to the DTD to add it, any problems with that?

Let me know if I can help on any other issues, docs, etc.

Greg

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email, its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Re: Release planning

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:
> In my personal opinion, it is time that we should start planning a new
> release. My personal opinion is that we should get out a 3.2.1 release
> candidate out soon (after fixing some bugs and adding some enhancements
> in jira, e.g. TORQUE-56 and TORQUE-54), and then start progress towards
> a 4.0 release whith major changes (chucking out the village library etc.)
>
> Any thoughts ?
+1

> Thomas V, are you going to be release manager in 3.2.1 ? Of course I'll
> be there to help.
Yeah, I'll do it. Sorry for being quiet in the last weeks. September is
always a busy month...

Bye, Thomas.