Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Ian Varley <iv...@salesforce.com> on 2012/02/22 22:40:34 UTC

Seeking HBase schema design examples

All:

I’m doing a study on HBase schema design, with a goal of contributing back a presentation or summary about how data modeling is practically done in HBase. I'd like to base it as much as possible on real world examples (i.e. things that are running in production today). I’ve got several examples already, but I’d love more input from the community. If you have designed an HBase schema that worked really well (or, conversely, that failed in an instructive way), and feel like sharing it with me, I’d love to hear about it (you can email me directly, or share it on the list). If you'd like the source or identifying details to be obfuscated, that's totally doable.

In particular, I would *love* to hear about people doing complex things within a single HBase row (like, storing several entities’ worth of data in columns / column families of the same HBase row, for atomicity or other reasons). Also interested in nifty stuff using atomic increments, check & sets, etc. Generally, any clever insights you have about how to make conceptual data models work well on HBase are what I'd love to digest and share with the community.

Thanks!
Ian

Re: Seeking HBase schema design examples

Posted by Ian Varley <iv...@salesforce.com>.
Yes, that's a great one - and it's one of the few schemas I've found that's published online and well explained. I think we need more of that! :)

Ian

On Feb 23, 2012, at 1:23 AM, Igor Lautar wrote:

I've found OpenTSDB interesting:

http://opentsdb.net/schema.html

Posted by Igor Lautar <ig...@gmail.com>.