Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by hamdi ines <ha...@yahoo.fr> on 2004/05/03 20:19:38 UTC

svg

hello,
I have a gml file and i want read it using svg tool, but I don't know what are the steps to realise this and it's necessary to convert it in xslt.
and what software can I use to convert it directly.
thanks

---------------------------------
Créez votre Yahoo! Mail

Re: svg

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
hamdi ines wrote:
> I have a gml file and i want read it using svg tool, but I don't know
> what are the steps to realise this and it's necessary to convert it in xslt.
> and what software can I use to convert it directly.

Usually GML provides for the graph structure only. In order
to get an SVG, you have to generate shapes for nodes and
edges and place them onto the virtual canvas. In general,
this is a very difficult task and not suitable for
implementation in XSLT. It may be solvable if you know
that your input graph has one of a few simple structures.

There are very few graph layout libraries available. You
best bet is probably GraphViz. You'll have to transform
your input GML into GraphViz's input language. The most
recent GraphViz releases can generate SVG directly.

If GraphViz's capabilities are too limited for your problem,
try one of the few free layout libraries on SourceForge (but
they all have inconveniet limits) or get a commercial tool.

J.Pietschmann