Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Biao Han <ha...@cn.ibm.com> on 2011/08/17 12:00:17 UTC

Status of Apache ODF Toolkit - 08/17/2011

(For reminder those guys who are interested in this project to subscribe
the new mail lists, cc to several addresses. Sorry for interrupt.)

ODF Toolkit move to Apache
1. The mail lists are ready. We will be shutting down the ODF Toolkit
Union's mailing lists soon. So we urge you to subscribe to the new list
now.
   (1)odf-dev@incubator.apache.org is the main development list for the
project.  You can subscribe by sending an email to
odf-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org
   (2)odf-users@incubator.apache.org is where users of the toolkit can ask
questions, discuss uses of the toolkit, give feedback, propose new
features, etc.  You can subscribe by sending an email to
odf-users-subscribe@incubator.apache.org.
2. Discuss moving the code base from Mercurial to svn. We hope to keep the
patch history information. A shell script can help us do this, while
necessary tests are needed before application.
3. Discuss moving wiki and website. We need to learn Markdown syntax and
Apache CMS.

Simple ODF
According to some users'request, we released version 0.6.6 last Friday. The
improvements in this version include:
(1) Two critical bugs in Navigation API and 9 other issues are fixed;
(2) Page columns, a page layout feature in text document, are now
supported;
(3) Unit test coverage rate increased. This work improves the stability of
our API.

ODFDOM
1. Does the cryptographic software export control of US is a risk?
(1) JDK has passed the examine according to limited password length. For
example, if use password in PKCS#12 is greater than 7 characters, you may
need to download and install the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE)
Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files. Without these files, you may
encounter an "Illegal Key Size" Error when accessing PKCS#12 files.
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html)
(2) The form and manner of this Apache Software Foundation distribution
makes it eligible for export under the License Exception ENC Technology
Software Unrestricted (TSU) exception for both object code and source code.
(http://pdfbox.apache.org/download.html#pdfbox)
2. The owner of XDocReport would like to contribute the sources of the
ODFDOMConverter project to us.
(1) The issue is ODFDOMConverter uses iText. iText's licence is AGPL, not
compatible with Apache 2.0.
(2) They would like to use PDFBox to replace iText and have contacted
PDFBox to discuss the possibility.

Regards

Biao Han (Devin)
SOA Standards Growth, Emerging Technology Institute(ETI), IBM China
Software Development Laboratory
Tel:(86-10)82450541
Email: hanbiao@cn.ibm.com
Address: 3/F Ring Building, No.28 Building, Zhong Guan Cun Software Park,
No. 8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, ShangDi, Haidian District, Beijing,
P.R.C.100193