Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2001/10/12 00:57:48 UTC

Is it time to fully document the sitemap?

I have been on-and-off trying to understand all of the nooks and crannies of
the sitemap over the last few days, with an eye to whether it makes sense to
implement a tree traversal approach to handling requests.

If I go exclusively from the documentation for the sitemap, the answer is
"sure, not much sweat, and very few kludges".

Feeling cocky I then take a look at the example sitemap.  All of a sudden
things seem a lot less clear as I'm faced with a bunch of attributes that
seem to have significant impact on how things actually work.  I can puzzle
some of these things out, but wonder if I am missing any subtle points.

At the same time the Flowmap has returned after a long absence and I seem to
recall some small rumblings that the Sitemap has become a little crufty.
Unfortunately Cocoon v.2 (Cocoon2?) has not yet shipped, and as such the
sitemap has not been fully tested in the large.

What I think would be ideal (for me, for new users, and for potential
contributors) is for the following things to happen:

1.) the draft sitemap.dtd be completed (aligned with sitemap.xsl and the
supporting code) (maybe even turned into a Schema!)
2.) sitemap.dtd be augmented with a functional description of how the
various bits are used (which would allow me to continue with my traversal
work)
3.) a list thread detailing the strengths and weaknesses of the sitemap be
started (with an eye to evolution/revolution)
4.) a list thread that moves the Flowmap from "RT" to "Design" be started,
with an emphasis on the relationships (if any) between the Flowmap and the
Sitemap ('cause I know I'm confounded*!)

OK, now that I've proposed a whole lot of work, what am I willing (and able)
to contribute?  I can start on the dtd/schema update, based on what I am
observing within the current example sitemap.  I can also try to add in some
of the functional bits, again with an eye to traversal.

Unfortunately I have not used Cocoon in an environment where SOC is
important, nor have I used it to make "real" webapps, which mostly excludes
me from 3 and 4 (except to say that it should use a traversal model, not a
code generation model :)

Comments, criticism, slings and barbs?

Jason Foster

* or maybe the Sitemap and Flowmap are confounded?  It's hard to tell...

AW: Is it time to fully document the sitemap?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hi Jason,

yes it is time to fully document the sitemap! We must cleanup
the documentation for the final release and complete it.
This includes a dtd for the sitemap (or xml schema or both).

The current documentation is not upto-date. There are here
and there some old bits which haven't been updated, some
features aren't documented and even worse the
user and developer documentation is mixed.
So, as you can see, there's a lot of work to do.
Actually we are looking for volunteers helping us there.
So you and of course everybody else is welcome!

It doesn't matter if you can do only a part of the
work. If a piece is done by someone, then another
one can come in, extend it, and then perhaps a
next one and so on until it's finished.
But currently there must somebody start it...

Carsten