Posted to rampart-dev@ws.apache.org by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/12 17:46:02 UTC

[GSOC proposal ] Integration of Axis2 with Free Pastry

Hi Devs,

I am planning to integrate Axis2 with Free Pastry [1] which is a  is a
generic, scalable and efficient substrate for peer-to-peer applications , as
my GSOC 2010 project.which will be integrated with the AXIS2 transports and
make the axis2 to obtain the advantages of free pastry.

In brief  " Pastry nodes form a decentralized, self-organizing and
fault-tolerant overlay network within the Internet. Pastry provides
efficient request routing, deterministic object location, and load balancing
in an *application-independent* manner. Furthermore, Pastry provides
mechanisms that support and facilitate application-specific object
replication, caching, and fault recovery".

The first milestone is the integration of axis2 with free pastry maintaining
the axis2 transport's interoperability and provide an scalable and reliable
integration point.In this i have to map the features of axis2 to free pastry
since this  network overlay can operate encapsulating the bottom network
layers.

After the successful integration one can expand this to obtain more benifits
from the applications[2][3][4] which are implemented on top of free pastry
which have capabilities like multicast , anycast and distributed caching
etc.

Srinath Perera who helped me in understanding the scope of this project is
willing to mentor myself whom i really obliged for the assistance given.

I really appreciate and welcome comments and thoughts to nourish the idea.

[1]http://www.freepastry.org/
[2] Scribe <http://www.freepastry.org/SCRIBE/default.htm> -group
communication/event notification.
[3] Squirrel <http://www.freepastry.org/Squirrel/default.htm>- co-operative
web caching.
[4] Past <http://www.freepastry.org/PAST/default.htm> -archival storage

Thank you,

Regards,

Shelan Perera

Undergraduate
University of Moratuwa
Sri Lanka

www.shelan.info

Re: [GSOC proposal ] Integration of Axis2 with Free Pastry

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you for the valuable feedback given.

First of all you need to learn about the Axis2 transports api and Axis2
> client API.

The first phase of the project should be the development of transport for
the peer to peer overlay of free pastry.I am enhancing knowledge on the
areas of Axis2 transports and Axis2 client API.As a preparation i am going
through some the previous transport implementations of the SMS ,Mail to get
and idea of how to extend axis2 with a new transport by implementing
transport sender and receiver.

> Then you should try sending a message from one node and getting that
> message from the other one. Here you need to define an EPR format to address
> the Pastry nodes.
>
> Then you can try out a scenarios like discovery and fault tolerance.

At the moment i developed a message application using free pastry to
understand the message flow of the free pastry.As you suggested here i have
to define an EPR format to map a nodeID of an application. Even though we
can generate an nodeID it is not recommended by pastry routing
mechanism.Therefore always we may have to bind a nodeID to a EPR.

I think there should be an consideration on the message we pass in the
ring.In free Pastry we can create a message implementing Message interface
but since this message should be web service request/response we cannot make
it a java object in order to maintain web service fundamentals .If you can
give me some guidelines about the payload of the message i believe it would
be helpful.

Shelan Perera

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM, shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> After the integration with free pastry Axis2 can derive benefits such as,
>
> *fault tolerance in the network /robustness
> *Scalability
> *Recoverability  etc.
>
> In the design of the integration there is a major consideration on how a
> client can discover services available in the network and access them using
> an EPR (here the EPR should be matched to a nodeID).
>
> So i am thinking of a distributed registry service where a newly joined
> client can discover the available services.(This may be a distributed hash
> table where node ids and keys are stored in the ring).

First of all you need to learn about the Axis2 transports api and Axis2
client API.
Then you should try sending a message from one node and getting that message
from the other one. Here you need to define an EPR format to address the
Pastry nodes.

Then you can try out a scenarios like discovery and fault tolerance.

thanks,
Amila.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [GSOC proposal ] Integration of Axis2 with Free Pastry

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [GSOC proposal ] Integration of Axis2 with Free Pastry

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [GSOC proposal ] Integration of Axis2 with Free Pastry

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [GSOC proposal ] Integration of Axis2 with Free Pastry

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [GSOC proposal ] Integration of Axis2 with Free Pastry

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,