Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by James Strassburg <js...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/05 18:23:56 UTC

Autoscaling with core properties

Hello,

We're creating a SolrCloud in AWS and attempting to use autoscaling to add
replicas during nodeAdded/nodeLost. This was working fine for us until we
started creating collections specifying core properties (e.g.
/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&property.synonyms_datasource=REDACTED).
It seems that when the nodeLost/Added trigger fires the properties don't
manifest in the core create invocation and we get errors like the following:

products_20180904200015_shard1_replica_n39:
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:
Could not load conf for core products_20180904200015_shard1_replica_n39:
Can't load schema schema.xml: No system property or default value specified
for synonyms_datasource value:jdbc/${synonyms_datasource}

The autoscaling API also doesn't appear to have a way to set the properties
when we create the triggers.

Are we missing something or is this not supported at this time? I couldn't
find a relevant JIRA or other documentation or solr-user discussion on
this.

thanks,

JiM

Re: Autoscaling with core properties

Posted by James Strassburg <js...@gmail.com>.
I created SOLR-12752 ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12752 )
for this issue. We're also using user properties in our dataimporthandler
data-config.xml so SOLR-11529 ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-
11529 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-11529> ) prevented us
from validating the Config API (unless we had something configured wrong).
Moving on to SOLR_OPTS to see if that will work but it is undesirable since
the admin UI will display the settings (some of them sensitive).

JiM

Posted by James Strassburg <js...@gmail.com>.
Shalin,

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim,

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're creating a SolrCloud in AWS and attempting to use autoscaling to add
> replicas during nodeAdded/nodeLost. This was working fine for us until we
> started creating collections specifying core properties (e.g.
>
> /solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&property.synonyms_datasource=REDACTED).
> It seems that when the nodeLost/Added trigger fires the properties don't
> manifest in the core create invocation and we get errors like the
> following:
>
> products_20180904200015_shard1_replica_n39:
> org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:
> Could not load conf for core products_20180904200015_shard1_replica_n39:
> Can't load schema schema.xml: No system property or default value specified
> for synonyms_datasource value:jdbc/${synonyms_datasource}
>
> The autoscaling API also doesn't appear to have a way to set the properties
> when we create the triggers.
>
> Are we missing something or is this not supported at this time? I couldn't
> find a relevant JIRA or other documentation or solr-user discussion on
> this.
>
> thanks,
>
> JiM

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.