Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com> on 2007/03/12 14:03:08 UTC

fieldtype

If I develop my entity models on one environment (e.g. Oracle) will my
work run on any of the other environments defined in
framework/entity/fieldtype/*.xml without modification?

Many thanks ...

Re: fieldtype

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Christopher,

Most (99%) of it will work with the stock fieldtype mappings.

I can only see one tiny problem so far: resolution of date/time types.

As for Oracle (and MySQL), date-time types resolution is 1 second. It seems to me that OFBiz was
developed and tested primarily with PostgreSQL, which has date-time types resolution of 1 millisecond.

Howevever, that said, I don't think we should have a problem moving between PostgreSQL and
Oracle/MySQL. Which ERP application requires millisecond accuracy? Which business keeps track of
how many milliseconds a routing task takes? To humans, 1 second is small enough.

As for "problem" with using MySQL/Oracle, it has more to do with the fact that some bugs may not
have been caught when the developers test with PostgreSQL. For eg, there's a possible bug in a
post I recently made, subject heading "Possible race condition problem in login process?". With
PostgreSQL's millisecond date-time resolution, there's more tolerance for race condition bugs in
OFBiz, if there are any.

Race condition bugs are the infamous "intermittent problems" many IT teams will tell you about.
"Boss, you can't catch it, so we can't fix it". Concurrency programming isn't trivial; Java
provides for concurrency programming.

Jonathon