Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2013/10/26 15:52:29 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons Compress 1.6 Released

The Apache Commons Team is pleased to announce the release of Apache
Commons Compress 1.6.

The Apache Commons Compress Library defines a Java API for working with
ar, cpio, tar, zip, 7z, arj, dump, gzip, pack200, bzip2, lzma and xz
files.

The headline features of 1.6 are support for 7z archives as well as
read-only support for stand-alone LZMA compressed files and uncompressed
arj archives.

Source and binary distributions are available for download from the
Apache Commons download site:

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/download_compress.cgi

When downloading, please verify signatures using the KEYS file available
at the above location when downloading the release.

Version 1.6 introduces changes to the internal API of the tar package
that break backwards compatibility in the following rare cases.  This
version removes the package private TarBuffer class along with the
protected "buffer" members in TarArchiveInputStream and
TarArchiveOutputStream.  This change will only affect you if you have
created a subclass of one of the stream classes and accessed the buffer
member or directly used the TarBuffer class.

Changes in this version include:

New features:
o Added support for 7z archives.  Most compression algorithms
  can be read and written, LZMA and encryption are only
  supported when reading.  Issue: COMPRESS-54. Thanks to Damjan
  Jovanovic.
o Added read-only support for ARJ archives that don't use
  compression.  Issue: COMPRESS-226. Thanks to Damjan Jovanovic.
o DumpArchiveInputStream now supports an encoding parameter that
  can be used to specify the encoding of file names.
o The CPIO streams now support an encoding parameter that can be
  used to specify the encoding of file names.
o Read-only support for LZMA standalone compression has been added.
  Issue: COMPRESS-111.

Fixed Bugs:
o TarBuffer.tryToConsumeSecondEOFRecord could throw a
  NullPointerException  Issue: COMPRESS-223. Thanks to Jeremy Gustie.
o Parsing of zip64 extra fields has become more lenient in order
  to be able to read archives created by DotNetZip and maybe
  other archivers as well.  Issue: COMPRESS-228.
o TAR will now properly read the names of symbolic links with
  long names that use the GNU variant to specify the long file
  name.  Issue: COMPRESS-229. Thanks to Christoph Gysin.
o ZipFile#getInputStream could return null if the archive
  contained duplicate entries.
  The class now also provides two new methods to obtain all
  entries of a given name rather than just the first one.
  Issue: COMPRESS-227.
o CpioArchiveInputStream failed to read archives created by
  Redline RPM.  Issue: COMPRESS-236. Thanks to Andrew Duffy.
o TarArchiveOutputStream now properly handles link names that
  are too long to fit into a traditional TAR header.  Issue:
  COMPRESS-237. Thanks to Emmanuel Bourg.
o The auto-detecting create*InputStream methods of Archive and
  CompressorStreamFactory could fail to detect the format of
  blocking input streams.  Issue: COMPRESS-239.

Changes:
o Readabilty patch to TarArchiveInputStream.  Issue:
  COMPRESS-232. Thanks to BELUGA BEHR.
o Performance improvements to TarArchiveInputStream, in
  particular to the skip method.  Issue: COMPRESS-234. Thanks to BELUGA
  BEHR.

For complete information on Commons Compress, including instructions
on how to submit bug reports, patches, or suggestions for improvement,
see the Apache Commons Compress website:

http://commons.apache.org/compress/

Stefan Bodewig, on behalf of the Apache Commons community

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons Compress 1.6 Released

Posted by "dam6923 ." <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all the work.  I'm excited to finally incorporate the
changes into some of my professional work.

I just took a peek at the website and there is an advertisement for
ApacheCon NA 2013.  Perhaps its time to drop the mention?  :)

Thanks.