Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/04/30 01:38:45 UTC

Re: Quick! convert all your projects to maven!

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 17:26, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> Quick! convert all your projects build.xml files to being controlled by
> maven!
>
>     <http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/>
>
> The faster we get a centralized build system in Jakarta the better off we
> will all be.
>
> Forget the days where you have to edit silly properties files to locate
> dependency .jar files...now, maven will do all of that for you!
>
> Maven is the next killer build tool like Ant was.
>
> Everyone should install and use it.

I am very thankful for your praise, really.

I encourage people to look at Maven and try to use it but there are some
definite kinks to work out. When Maven hits 1.0 I will be as
enthusiastic as you are!

If people want to try Maven and and give your feedback that would be
great, and would help Maven move along faster to a 1.0 but it is not an
entirely seamless process, as it will be in 1.0, and I don't want people
getting frustrated needlessly. It is highly functional but at the same
time displays certain limitations (like deployment flexibility) that are
highly annoying.

So play if you wish but please be patient :-)

> -jon

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org