Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by John Blythe <jo...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/23 00:23:46 UTC

Local development and SolrCloud

For those of you who are developing applications with solr and are using
solrcloud in production: what are you doing locally? Cloud seems
unnecessary locally besides testing strictly for cloud specific use cases
or configurations. Am I totally off basis there? We are considering keeping
a “standard” (read: non-cloud) local solr environment locally for our
development workflow and using cloud only for our remote environments.
Curious to know how wise or stupid that play would be.

Thanks for any info!
--
John Blythe

Re: Local development and SolrCloud

Posted by Sameer Maggon <sa...@searchstax.com>.
Why not just revert to everything SolrCloud? The advantages you will have
is that you or your other team members are using the same APIs, parameters,
experience, etc. that they will be using when they go from one environment
to another. It would be less confusion to explain to someone why you are
doing one thing in one environment and another in another. It does not seem
like there is an overhead if you used SolrCloud in your lower environments
or locally too.

You don't have to run a cluster within your local environment, you can
still have a single node "acting" as SolrCloud.

Maybe I am missing something, but what advantages or benefit you get for
*not* using SolrCloud locally?

--
Sameer Maggon
https://www.searchstax.com

Posted by John Blythe <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone. I think we forgot that cloud doesn’t have to be clustered.
That local overhead being avoided makes it a much easier pill to swallow as
far as local performance (vs. having all the extra containers running in
docker)

Will see what we can spin up and ask questions if/as they arise!

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.