Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Boris Kraft <bo...@obinary.com> on 2004/11/08 14:43:32 UTC

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory

I have installed maven on OSX but trying to use it on a real project
fails with the following message:

Attempting to download commons-jelly-1.0-beta-4.jar.
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory

Details:
I have installed maven on OSX 10.3 by following the description here:
http://homepage.mac.com/melowe/B1485844447/C633227215/E1653984186/
and also from the maven installation docs (creating the repository
using install_repo.sh)

I can call maven successfully from the command line, e.g.

----- 8< -------------

% maven --info
  __  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0

#---- BEGIN: Which report
Which.version=Which.java:($Revision: 1.2 $) WhichJar.java:($Revision:
1.2 $)
java.version=1.4.2_05
file.encoding=MacRoman
java.ext.dirs=/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/ext
java.class.path=/Developer/Java/Maven/lib/forehead-1.0-beta-5.jar
os.name=Mac OS X
java.vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.
sun.boot.class.path=/Developer/Java/Maven/lib/endorsed/xerces
-2.4.0.jar:/Developer/Java/Maven/lib/endorsed/xml-apis-1.0.b2.jar:/
System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/
classes.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/
Classes/ui.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/
1.4.2/Classes/laf.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
Versions/1.4.2/Classes/sunrsasign.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/jsse.jar:/System/Library/
Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/jce.jar:/System/
Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/charsets.jar
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
#----   END: Which report

Installed plugins:
   maven-abbot-plugin-1.0
   maven-announcement-plugin-1.2
   maven-ant-plugin-1.7
   maven-antlr-plugin-1.2.1
   maven-appserver-plugin-2.0
   maven-artifact-plugin-1.4
   maven-ashkelon-plugin-1.2
   maven-aspectj-plugin-3.1.1
   maven-aspectwerkz-plugin-1.2
   maven-caller-plugin-1.1
   maven-castor-plugin-1.2
   maven-changelog-plugin-1.7.1
   maven-changes-plugin-1.5
   maven-checkstyle-plugin-2.4.1
   maven-clean-plugin-1.3
   maven-clover-plugin-1.5
   maven-console-plugin-1.1
   maven-cruisecontrol-plugin-1.4
   maven-dashboard-plugin-1.3
   maven-developer-activity-plugin-1.5
   maven-dist-plugin-1.6
   maven-docbook-plugin-1.2
   maven-ear-plugin-1.5
   maven-eclipse-plugin-1.7
   maven-ejb-plugin-1.5
   maven-faq-plugin-1.4
   maven-file-activity-plugin-1.5
   maven-genapp-plugin-2.2
   maven-gump-plugin-1.4
   maven-hibernate-plugin-1.1
   maven-html2xdoc-plugin-1.3
   maven-idea-plugin-1.5
   maven-j2ee-plugin-1.5
   maven-jalopy-plugin-1.3
   maven-jar-plugin-1.6
   maven-java-plugin-1.4
   maven-javacc-plugin-1.1
   maven-javadoc-plugin-1.6.1
   maven-jboss-plugin-1.5
   maven-jbuilder-plugin-1.5
   maven-jcoverage-plugin-1.0.7
   maven-jdee-plugin-1.1
   maven-jdepend-plugin-1.5
   maven-jdeveloper-plugin-1.4
   maven-jdiff-plugin-1.4
   maven-jellydoc-plugin-1.3
   maven-jetty-plugin-1.1
   maven-jira-plugin-1.1.1
   maven-jnlp-plugin-1.4
   maven-junit-doclet-plugin-1.2
   maven-junit-report-plugin-1.5
   maven-jxr-plugin-1.4.1
   maven-latex-plugin-1.4.1
   maven-latka-plugin-1.4.1
   maven-license-plugin-1.2
   maven-linkcheck-plugin-1.3.2
   maven-multichanges-plugin-1.1
   maven-multiproject-plugin-1.3.1
   maven-native-plugin-1.1
   maven-nsis-plugin-1.1
   maven-pdf-plugin-2.1
   maven-plugin-plugin-1.5.1
   maven-pmd-plugin-1.5
   maven-pom-plugin-1.4.1
   maven-rar-plugin-1.0
   maven-release-plugin-1.4
   maven-repository-plugin-1.2
   maven-scm-plugin-1.4
   maven-shell-plugin-1.1
   maven-simian-plugin-1.4
   maven-site-plugin-1.5.1
   maven-struts-plugin-1.3
   maven-tasklist-plugin-2.3
   maven-test-plugin-1.6.2
   maven-tjdo-plugin-1.0.0
   maven-uberjar-plugin-1.2
   maven-vdoclet-plugin-1.2
   maven-war-plugin-1.6
   maven-webserver-plugin-2.0
   maven-wizard-plugin-1.1
   maven-xdoc-plugin-1.8
Exception reading build.properties: /Users/kraft/build.properties (No
such file or directory)
Home Build properties: {}

----- 8< -------------

I have used cvs to check out the maven source from the repository and
try to run maven on itself. Originally I used maven on the jackrabbit
source, with the same error:

----- 8< -------------

% maven -e jar
  __  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0

Attempting to download commons-jelly-1.0-beta-4.jar.
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
         at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.<clinit>(HttpClient.java:100)
         at org.apache.maven.util.HttpUtils.getFile(HttpUtils.java:356)
         at org.apache.maven.util.HttpUtils.getFile(HttpUtils.java:287)
         at org.apache.maven.util.HttpUtils.getFile(HttpUtils.java:181)
         at
org.apache.maven.verifier.DependencyVerifier.getRemoteArtifact(Dependenc
yVerifier.java:326)
         at
org.apache.maven.verifier.DependencyVerifier.getDependencies(DependencyV
erifier.java:255)
         at
org.apache.maven.verifier.DependencyVerifier.satisfyDependencies(Depende
ncyVerifier.java:171)
         at
org.apache.maven.verifier.DependencyVerifier.verify(DependencyVerifier.j
ava:97)
         at
org.apache.maven.project.Project.verifyDependencies(Project.java:1365)
         at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.attainGoals(PluginManager.java:
510)
         at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.attainGoals(MavenSession.java:266)
         at org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:486)
         at org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1215)
         at
a:39)
         at
Impl.java:25)
         at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:551)
         at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:581)

----- 8< -------------

Any hints?

Thanks
Boris

Re: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
This is going to be hard to figure out. The instructions you used seem
like a bit of overkill - perhaps just something simpler is a good
starting point:

mkdir temp
cd temp
tar zxf maven-1.0.tar.gz
cd maven-1.0
export MAVEN_HOME=$PWD
cd /path/to/cvs/checkout/of/maven (or any maven based project)
maven -X build:start

If that works, you can start making the other changes one by one to
see what the problem was (you might need to remove ~/.maven later if
you didn't want the cache stored there)

Hope this helps.

The only other thoughts I have is:
- to run with MAVEN_OPTS=-verbose:class (this is a Sun JVM switch - I
assume it works for you too).
- ass "set -x" to the maven start script so the classpath gets echoed,
though I doubt this will help.

Good luck!

Let us know here or in the JIRA issue if you find the problem.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Boris Kraft <bo...@obinary.com>.
thanks, Brett