Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org> on 2005/03/04 20:05:19 UTC

Commit "Useful changes" from Wiki?

Hi all,

some time ago I had written this Wiki page:

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/DefaultPublicationUsefulChanges

Today I was reminded again by some user's that especially the
possibility to override a checkout is not only useful but sometimes
crucial. We host a project where a handful of people in different cities
is collaboratively editing a website. And you know that all it takes for
a lock to stay around is to hit "Edit with Kupu", then walk away from
your terminal. After the session times out, the document will remain
checked out and only the person who own this checkout will ever be able
to edit this document. Which is bad if that person left for a couple of
days.

Now I wonder if the method I described in the Wiki page is really the
way to this. It works, but it's not very elegant.

Questions that arise are:

- Should we rather try to implement a timeout on checkouts?
- Should we try to release checkouts when the user's session is ended;
either by logout or timeout?
- If we think that the "forced checkin" by "System" is suitable,
-- should we sent the original "owner" an email that his checkout has
been overridden?
-- who should be allowed to override a checkout? The admin role? The
reviewer? Any editor? Should this be a separate "supervisor" role?=

Another way of asking:

Checkout and Checkin is somewhat implicit today and a lot of editors are
not really aware that they actually do checkouts when starting to edit
or checkins when they save. Should that be made more obvious? Do we
think there is a reason why a checkout on a page should last between
sessions?

Would anyone object against comitting the approach from the Wiki page as
a kind of immediate measure because I recognize this is getting a longer
story and the forced checkin action will help people now?

WDYT?

Regards,
Torsten

Re: Commit "Useful changes" from Wiki?

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
 >> looks good, although i believe the "clearing the cache" is no longer
 >> necessary as i haven't heard of cache problems in a while.

Yes and no. In authoring I did not have problems, but I had lots of
trouble recently on the live side when I was updating tabs.xsl or
menu.xsl files. The only help was to delete the cache directory on the disk.

But I wanted to get the override checkout done first, anyway.

Regards,
Torsten

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

--