Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Daryl Rose <ro...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/08 22:00:55 UTC

Crap getting through

I'm getting obvious phishing attempts. This one was made to look like it
was from Wells Fargo with an obvious spoofed email address.  However, when
I examined the headers, the From Address was this garbage:
*=?utf-8?B?V+G7hWxsc+G4nmFyZ28gQmFuaw==?=  *

I received another one that was meant to be an Amazon Prime Membership
failure.   How can I block these?  The last time I inquired about phishing,
it was suggested to install KAM, which I did, but this crap is still
getting through.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Daryl

Re: Crap getting through

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

report to https://phishtank.com/ then

> This one was made to look like
> it was from Wells Fargo with an obvious spoofed email address.

so what did spamassassin say about that ?

> However, when I examined the headers, the From Address was this
> garbage: =?utf-8?B?V+G7hWxsc+G4nmFyZ28gQmFuaw==?=

nice trick to avoid testing ?

developpers of sa, utf-8 and qp is basicly fucked everywhere :/

but this one is base64

> I received another one that was meant to be an Amazon Prime Membership
> failure.

maybe amazon prime hands out to many free accounts ? :-)

> How can I block these?

if you like me to answer that i could give next weeks lotto numbers in
return :-)

> The last time I inquired about
> phishing, it was suggested to install KAM,

now it seems you need to build corpus without rescoreing anything in
kam.cf

make a DR.cf to build localy on you self control

> which I did, but this crap
> is still getting through.  Any other suggestions?

without any samples no one can help

you have all that is needed to make DR.cf ?

Re: Crap getting through

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sun, 8 Nov 2020, Daryl Rose wrote:

> I'm getting obvious phishing attempts. This one was made to look like it
> was from Wells Fargo with an obvious spoofed email address.  However, when
> I examined the headers, the From Address was this garbage:
> *=?utf-8?B?V+G7hWxsc+G4nmFyZ28gQmFuaw==?=  *

Easy enough to write a "FUZZY_WELLSFARGO" rule for that, but it probably
won't pass masscheck and get published because there are probably few
examples of that in the corpus.

Added to my sandbox:

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ReplaceTags
   body          __FUZZY_WELLSFARGO_BODY  /<W>(?!ells[-\s]?Fargo)<E><L><L><S>[-\s]?<F><A><R><G><O>/i
   replace_rules __FUZZY_WELLSFARGO_BODY
   header        __FUZZY_WELLSFARGO_FROM  From:name =~ /<W>(?!ells[-\s]?Fargo)<E><L><L><S>[-\s]?<F><A><R><G><O>/i
   replace_rules __FUZZY_WELLSFARGO_FROM
   meta          FUZZY_WELLSFARGO         __FUZZY_WELLSFARGO_BODY || __FUZZY_WELLSFARGO_FROM
endif

Do you have something like this in place?

   whitelist_auth          *@wellsfargo.com
   blacklist_from          *@wellsfargo.com
   whitelist_auth          *@bankofamerica.com
   blacklist_from          *@bankofamerica.com
   whitelist_auth          *@*.bankofamerica.com
   blacklist_from          *@*.bankofamerica.com

  jhardin@impsec.org                         pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
   Sheep have only two speeds: graze and stampede.     -- LTC Grossman
  Tomorrow: The 82nd anniversary of Kristallnacht - disarmament enables genocide

Re: Crap getting through

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 09.11.20 05:07, Daryl Rose wrote:
>Sorry, I deleted it right away.  I normally delete that crap as soon as it
>comes in.   I'll remember to keep it next time I get something so I can
>post the headers.

i keep spam ans phishes in special mail directories for later examination

>On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 6:49 PM Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com> wrote:
>> Can you please post a copy of the raw email message - with headers -
>> perhaps with your own user's email address (and name?) masked out (change
>> to "XXXXXXXX") - to pastebin, or to a similar site - then reply here with
>> the link. It is difficult to give specific suggestions without having the
>> raw underlying text of the message (w/headers). But please try to avoid
>> pasting that directly to this list. Thanks!

>> On 11/8/2020 5:00 PM, Daryl Rose wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting obvious phishing attempts. This one was made to look like it
>> was from Wells Fargo with an obvious spoofed email address.  However, when
>> I examined the headers, the From Address was this garbage:
>> *=?utf-8?B?V+G7hWxsc+G4nmFyZ28gQmFuaw==?=  *

this is not garbage, this is mime-encoded string:

> *WễllsḞargo Bank  *

...and that is a garbage.
But should be quite easily catched.

>> I received another one that was meant to be an Amazon Prime Membership
>> failure.   How can I block these?  The last time I inquired about phishing,
>> it was suggested to install KAM, which I did, but this crap is still
>> getting through.  Any other suggestions?
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Re: Crap getting through

Posted by Daryl Rose <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Crap getting through

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 12:44:04 +0000
RW wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 19:49:20 -0500
> Rob McEwen wrote:
>
> > Daryl,
> >
> > Can you please post a copy of the raw email message - with headers
> > - perhaps with your own user's email address (and name?) masked out
> > (change to "XXXXXXXX")
>
> It's best to leave it syntactically correct and with self-consistent
> obfuscation, so it can be run though SA without having to be edited a
> send time.

second time

Re: Crap getting through

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.