Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2004/08/23 19:22:33 UTC

JSR 170

I need to support basic retrieval (and I suppose possibly update) from
content management systems into web pages.  It looks like JSR 170 is the
obvious way to implement this.  As of yet, I don't see anything in Cocoon
to support this.

I'm just getting started in looking at various content management systems.
Most look like they want to do all the presentation. I want to use Cocoon
for that only only retrieve content items, and possibly the Cocoon message
catalogs from the CMS.  Am I going in the right direction with that?

Ralph

Re: JSR 170

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
At 8/28/2004  07:14 AM, you wrote:

>Some might say that what you want is a Content Repository and not a CMS.
>Anyway, I just started looking at the JCR Reference Implementation that is
>in Slide's CVS and thinking about integrating it with Cocoon, but I cannot
>yet make up my mind as to what kinds of components would be useful to
>have. Do you have any suggestions?

I would imagine this would be very similar to the webdav block except it
wouldn't use webdav.  I envision a source resolver to get content directly
out of the cms from the sitemap and a transformer to integrate cms content
on a page in a manner similar to the i18n transformer.  It might also be
useful to have a way to get the content from Velocity and JXTemplates,
although the templates could just insert tags that are resolved by the
transformer.

>You should also consider that at the moment there are no content
>repositories offering a JSR-170 compliant interface, AFAIK.

Yeah. I noticed that.  I am going to end up writing my own JSR-170
interface to something else (we haven't made a final decision on the
"somthing else" yet.

Re: JSR 170

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 24/ago/04, alle 16:59, Ralph Goers ha scritto:

> Sorry I'm just venting now.  Most, if not all, the content management
> systems I am looking at seem to want to "own" the website. I want a
> content management system that just manages content, not the website.

Some might say that what you want is a Content Repository and not a
CMS. Anyway, I just started looking at the JCR Reference Implementation
that is in Slide's CVS and thinking about integrating it with Cocoon,
but I cannot yet make up my mind as to what kinds of components would
be useful to have. Do you have any suggestions?

You should also consider that at the moment there are no content
repositories offering a JSR-170 compliant interface, AFAIK.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: JSR 170