Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by StrW_dev <r....@structweb.nl> on 2014/05/01 09:32:17 UTC

Block Join Score & Highlighting

Hello,

I am trying out block joins for my index at the moment as I have many
documents that are mainly variations of the same search content. In my case
denormalization is not an option, so I am using nested documents.

The structure looks like this:
<doc>
    content
    <doc>
    filter
    boost
    required info
    </doc>
<doc>

I search within the parent document and filter on the child documents. I get
the correct documents this way, but I have issues with scoring and
highlighting.
I am currently searching on the parent document and returning the child
document, as they hold specific information I require. I use the boost field
of the child to boost the score of the documents individually.

1. I want the highlighting snippet from the parent document, but the
snippets returned are empty as they are based on the childs.
2. I also want to use the score from the parent document search together
with the child boost, but now I only get the score from filtering the child
nodes (which is 0).

I also tried it the other way around; returning the parent node and only
filtering on the child node, but in that case I can't boost on the specific
child or return the information within that child that I need.

Are there options to work around these issues? Or are they just not
supported at the moment?

Re: Block Join Score & Highlighting

Posted by StrW_dev <r....@structweb.nl>.
I changed the hardcoded BlockJoinChildQParser setting to use the parent
scoring and that seems to work. So I think I got rid of the scoring issue
:).
I also voted for the issue!

Didn't find a solution for the highlighting issue at the moment, but I am
considering to omit highlighting for now as it also causes the index to grow
big quickly as the fields need to be stored to support highlighting.

Re: Block Join Score & Highlighting

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM, StrW_dev <r....@structweb.nl> wrote:

> Mikhail Khludnev wrote
> > Hello,
> >
> > Score support is addressed at
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5882.
> >  Highlighting is another story. be aware of
> > http://heliosearch.org/expand-block-join/ it might somehow useful for
> your
> > problem.
>
> Thx for the reply! My score question is answered with that.

but you forget to vote for that issue!
Regarding highlighting, unfortunately I've never work with it. Hence, no
quick help from my side.

> I already tried expanding based on that exact article. With expanding I
> might be able to search in parent, filter children and also return the
> children based on the same filter query.
> However this doesn't give me the most relevant child and certainly won't
> allow me to use the boost of that child in the score of the parent
> document.
> I am forced to search on child level as this allows me to use the unique
> boost of the child to influence the score.
>
> What I would need is to return snippet based on search in the parent, but
> now snippets are based on the returning document.

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Principal Engineer,
Grid Dynamics

<http://www.griddynamics.com>
 <mk...@griddynamics.com>

Re: Block Join Score & Highlighting

Posted by StrW_dev <r....@structweb.nl>.
Mikhail Khludnev wrote

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
Hello,

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM, StrW_dev <r....@structweb.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying out block joins for my index at the moment as I have many
> documents that are mainly variations of the same search content. In my case
> denormalization is not an option, so I am using nested documents.
>
> The structure looks like this:
> <doc>
>     content
>     <doc>
>     filter
>     boost
>     required info
>     </doc>
> <doc>
>
> I search within the parent document and filter on the child documents. I
> get
> the correct documents this way, but I have issues with scoring and
> highlighting.
> I am currently searching on the parent document and returning the child
> document, as they hold specific information I require. I use the boost
> field
> of the child to boost the score of the documents individually.
>
> 1. I want the highlighting snippet from the parent document, but the
> snippets returned are empty as they are based on the childs.
> 2. I also want to use the score from the parent document search together
> with the child boost, but now I only get the score from filtering the child
> nodes (which is 0).
>
> I also tried it the other way around; returning the parent node and only
> filtering on the child node, but in that case I can't boost on the specific
> child or return the information within that child that I need.
>
> Are there options to work around these issues? Or are they just not
> supported at the moment?

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Principal Engineer,